PDA

View Full Version : Is it me or the scope?

handirifle
03-16-2012, 01:55 PM
I was at the range yesterday with my '06 and 4 other rifles. My '06 has a Leupold 2x7 VXII scope and it seemed to me that I could never get the crosshairs to look like single cross hairs at 50 or 100yds. Looking out at steels at 300-400 I didn't notice this, but maye that was because of the distance, I so not know. I might have figured it was totally me, until I looked through my 3x9 Burris Fullfield, and my Simmons Aetec on the other rifles. Those were clear and sharp, but the Lupy seemed like I was seeing double, to the point that I was almost guessing where I was actually holding on the target.

Anyone else had this? Is the scope bad?

sniper15545
03-16-2012, 02:51 PM
I have had this problem a couple of times after ALOT of trigger time, Its eye fatigue. But if you looked thru your other scopes for a period of time and it didn't happen it could be a scope problem. It may just need re-focused.

thirty06
03-16-2012, 05:23 PM
Try setting your eye relief, see if that helps.

handirifle
03-16-2012, 05:51 PM
Try setting your eye relief, see if that helps.

What do you mean "setting eye relief"? That was always something I assumed was fixed. Do you mean how far away I am from the scope? I get to where I have a complete view through the scope, but this is how we should always look.

sniper,
I did look through the others and had zero problems, but go back to the Lupy and it was there right off the bat. It was definitely double vision, and I had been shooting a lot, but as I said, I let the '06 cool and went back to the 223 and the Simmons, and clear and sharp.

I guess I need to write them or call.

sharpshooter
03-16-2012, 08:25 PM
I think what he meant was reticle focus. Adjust the eye piece until the cross hair is in focus. Typically when your eyes get old, you must back off the eye piece to get back into focus.

thirty06
03-16-2012, 10:10 PM
Thanks sharpshooter thats what I meant.
CRS again.

Trent
03-16-2012, 10:38 PM
It sounds like maybe the parallax on your scope is set incorrectly from the factory. It should be set for 100 yards by Leupold. Generally centerfire scopes that do not have adjustable objectives or side parallax knobs are hard set at a particular range (rimfire and shotgun might be around 60yds, and centerfire around 100-135 yards). Generally everything out past your set distance will appear to be in focus with the lower magnification scopes, but anything closer and your eyes will be fighting to focus on the image through the scope and also focus the crosshairs. You may need to give Leupold a call.

This is adjustable by the end user but it requires a delicate touch. I can describe the process if this is something you want to try.

handirifle
03-17-2012, 03:30 AM
Trent
I did wonder about that, but will let the factory mess with it. Tonight i was checking reticle focus (again) and noticed a couple more oddities.

First was when backed off a bit the focus bell would move up and down, not a lot but it moved the reticle with it, so adjusting focus also moves the POI. Also noticed that even once that was locked, the cross part of the reticle does not appear centered, but rather, more towards the upper right hand corner. I will call Luepod Mon and see what the process is to send it back.

No way am i going to trust this thing on a big hunt.

Trent
03-17-2012, 05:44 PM
Leupy will take care of you. They have the best dang customer service in the USA. Love'em!

airaddict
03-29-2012, 10:28 PM
I actually have the same prob w my leupold. The crosshair never seem as crisp against a target as other brands ive tried. For instance i jumped on the simmons whitetail hunter in 6-20x50 and that was super clear and crisp at all ranges. The leupold is clear but i have to constantly mess with the eye piece to focus.

I really like it cuz its the CDS model and has the screw in flip up covers which really come in handy while hunting. I may end up selling my leupold and trying a vortex viper cuz ive heard so much about them and they have peeked my curiousity.

Brian

Dennis
03-30-2012, 02:22 AM
Those were clear and sharp, but the Lupy seemed like I was seeing double,

Eye fatigue! Happens to me all the time and with many other shooters. Using target dot scopes, you will start seeing double dots due to eye fatigue!

As stated above, the older we get the more this problem shows up. Next time it happens, put a set of reading glasses on and refocus/adjust your scope! The double dots/lines will go/should go away. Again, common, I covered this same subject about a year ago. I use to bring 3 or more guns to the range, now max is 2. Your eye muscles get tiered just like any other muscle.

A good scope is almost a must. There are some scopes I cannot get to focus. Nightforce and Swarvoski are the best for people who already use reading glass. These are the onlly two scopes I can adjust perfectly anytime without any glasses. I have one Vortex that's not a problem for me!

I understand Sightron, March, and Bender are the same way, maybe a few more!

I have talked to many who have experienced the same issue, and different brand scopes do make a difference. I want to stress this.

One major brand scope I tried, I couldn't see out of it with or without glasses. I had to sell it. But "many" use this scope with NO problems! I have asked them if they wear corrective glasses, most stated no. I don't want to mention the name as many love it and don't understand the problem I had with it. It's MY eyes that caused the problem, and just like with our rifles, two of the exact same barrels will take different loads!

Several shooters went to their eye doctor and had "ONE" contact made JUST for shooting! I tried this, it worked, but it's a PITA, but if it works for you, then you have no choice! Plus, you have to find a doctor who will only give you one contact, some eye doctors understand!

I am just glad I am able to use scopes and found the ones that worked for me, without use of any corrective glasses or contacts, I use safety shooting glasses only! For several months, it was a major problem for me. Just for the record, my job requires me to use a computer most of the day. This is when the problem was worse for me!

Just like now, this screen is starting to get blury! Good Night All!

airaddict
03-30-2012, 07:39 AM
Well the problem happens from the first shot i take to the last. I do have stigmatism and dont wear glasses. Ive put up with it for a long time but it males shokting competition hard at my gun club cuz i domt really know if my crosshairs are truely still on the target for a good group. We will see what happens. I havent decided if im gonna sell the scope to try a diff brand.

Brian

Dennis
03-30-2012, 08:53 AM
I havent decided if im gonna sell the scope to try a diff brand.

Try a NF, get your paralax and eye focus set, You will be in good shape!

I still can't express how much difference it made with me and how different scopes all focused different. Everybody's eyes are different!

It made me feel better when several answered my thread and stated they had the same eye problems!

I actually use an eye chart when setting focus and paralax!

I use a target dot scope, There's nothing more that will pi** you off when you start sighting your scope and see "TWO" dots! Quick fix when your in this situation, get a pair of reading glasses, long time fix, get another scope!