PDA

View Full Version : muzzle brake

87predator
03-15-2012, 07:41 AM
I have seen several rifles on here with muzzle brakes installed. Even on 243 or smaller. I have heard of these being put on large calibers to tame recoil. 1, are these mostly being used on bench our target shooting rigs. 2. Have heard they make report louder close to rig, is there any truth to it? What are other advantages to having one installed?

trappst
03-15-2012, 09:04 AM
I have a brake on my 22-6mm......there is essentially no recoil at all. However, this thing is LOUD and muzzle blast is much more noticeable.

I built this rifle as a long range coyote rig but there's NO way I would want to shoot it without some kind of hearing protection.

87predator
03-15-2012, 09:28 AM
That's what I was wondering. I'm building my as long range Coyote rig for contest and such with occasional paper punching. Was just trying to figure of it was worth it. Btw, it is 243AI.

Ring31
03-15-2012, 09:41 AM
it will allow you to spot your own shots, and see impacts...

82boy
03-15-2012, 10:28 AM
Some muzzel breaks are louder than others, also caliber come to play with noise, some are louder than others. (On that comes to mind is a 308, I can always pick one out of a line up, they are just plain loud, and curses anyone that would put a break on one, they become the loudest thing on ther planet.) With that said some muzzel break work better than others, meaning some reduce recoil more than others. Remember there is no "Free lunches" in life for one thing you have to give up something else, for recoil reduction you give up sound, yes they will be louder.

Muzzel break on small calibers just makes shooting more fun, as you stay on target, and it is easier to return to target. It makes shooting large amounts off ammo, more tolibale. I highly recamend them.

mscott71
03-24-2012, 08:57 AM
I like and have muzzle brakes on everything. It even makes a difference on a .223! Yes, they increase noise, but you are likely wearing hearing protection anyway.