PDA

View Full Version : Bolt head assembly

Bayou
03-14-2012, 05:34 PM
Well after getting my bolt back from fluting I'm having a little trouble with assembly. First savage so have some patience with my questions. Upon putting the bolt back together I'm having trouble with the sleeve. I first put the baffle, then the head and placed the pin in the bolt body to secure head/baffle. Now on the other end I put in the firing pin but can not figure out the sleeve and how to compress the firing pin to place the sleeve on. If anyone can help or give me direction it would be appreciated.

JackinSD
03-14-2012, 06:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8Q_Cvme9Jk

Bayou
03-14-2012, 08:32 PM
JackinSD, your response is coming up blank.

JackinSD
03-14-2012, 08:51 PM
JackinSD, your response is coming up blank.

Comes up fine for me. You may want to try youtube and look for savage bolt assembly.

Bayou
03-14-2012, 09:04 PM
For some reason youtube has not been working for me, I keep getting a 404 error message. Good thing as I got it now, I was not lining up the pin for the firing pin to go through. One of those duh moments as I look at it now. Now the last thing is how to get it cocked so I can put the bolt in the reciever. Tried the corner of a table but I'm trying not to mess up the finish of bolt that I got fluted.

JackinSD
03-14-2012, 09:11 PM
For some reason youtube has not been working for me, I keep getting a 404 error message. Good thing as I got it now, I was not lining up the pin for the firing pin to go through. One of those duh moments as I look at it now. Now the last thing is how to get it cocked so I can put the bolt in the reciever. Tried the corner of a table but I'm trying not to mess up the finish of bolt that I got fluted.

Good. Good. Glad you got it.

fgw_in_fla
03-14-2012, 09:13 PM
I had pretty good results by cocking the bolt before tightening the boly assy. nut all the way in.

Back the allen head bolt out all the way, re-start it back in about 2 turns. Just enough to hold everything together. Set a block of hard(ish) wood on the bench (or floor) & push the button back into the cut out.
DO NOT FORGET TO TIGHTEN THE BOLT.
You don't want to know why I placed emphasis on that last part... ::) ::) ::) ::)

Also, and this is very important too, Keep your fingers out of the way. It's real easy to catch a piece of finger skin in the button. And, yes.... it does hurt. :o :o

Good luck with it.

Frank in Fla

JackinSD
03-14-2012, 09:35 PM
I had pretty good results by cocking the bolt before tightening the boly assy. nut all the way in.

Back the allen head bolt out all the way, re-start it back in about 2 turns. Just enough to hold everything together. Set a block of hard(ish) wood on the bench (or floor) & push the button back into the cut out.
DO NOT FORGET TO TIGHTEN THE BOLT.
You don't want to know why I placed emphasis on that last part... ::) ::) ::) ::)

Also, and this is very important too, Keep your fingers out of the way. It's real easy to catch a piece of finger skin in the button. And, yes.... it does hurt. :o :o

Good luck with it.

Frank in Fla

Good thing he already has it. Unless I misread something. You made an easy job really difficult.

Bayou
03-14-2012, 09:48 PM
Jack, I did not try to make it difficult just was the first I took one apart and put back together. Looking back now it is easy, just a learning curve.

JackinSD
03-14-2012, 09:49 PM
Jack, I did not try to make it difficult just was the first I took one apart and put back together. Looking back now it is easy, just a learning curve.

Not you Bayou. I understand the brain farts.

Bayou
03-14-2012, 09:51 PM
Jack, do you have any insight on the stiff bolt/cocking. Will it wear in or is that the way it is? The winchester that I have is really smooth and no where near as stiff. I have to be deliberate when working the bolt.

JackinSD
03-14-2012, 10:08 PM
Jack, do you have any insight on the stiff bolt/cocking. Will it wear in or is that the way it is? The winchester that I have is really smooth and no where near as stiff. I have to be deliberate when working the bolt.

Through use it will get lighter. Not as light as you may be used to. There is a thread somewhere on here about lightening the bolt lift with a kit.

jonbearman
03-15-2012, 09:21 AM
I would recommend calling stockade stocks and ask for kevin rayhill and get his bolt lift kit. Then to make it sweeter get a machinist or anyone with a lathe to trim about .140 thou off the big screw holding the whole thing togetther or have them make a washer to match the contour of the od of the bolt or contact sss and let them do their time and true.It just takes awhile to get it back.No biggie.