PDA

View Full Version : Stevens 200-.308

Ed Kurzawa
11-29-2009, 09:50 PM
First of let me say this is my first post, and great forum!

Now for my question..I am looking into a Stevens 200 in .308. Does anyone have one that is shooting factory ammunition? How does it shoot? Im in a tossup between the stevens and howa 1500. Possibly a savage10fp... But most likely a stevens or howa. I like the stevens for the price, and ability to build off the action later on. I just want to know what to expect for accuracy in stock form. Thanks,

Ed.

geargrinder
11-29-2009, 09:54 PM
If it doesn't shoot, you can always sell the barrel and put a new one on.

That's why I would choose the Stevens over the Howa.

Bad Water Bill
11-29-2009, 10:13 PM
First off WELCOME to our happy home.

WARNING You are entering a highly contagious area.

That is where I started a few years ago. Now I am spoiled by the ability of a Stevens to shoot less than MOA all the time. Now with the purchase of a few more factory bbls and another Stevens long action I can shoot from 204 thru 30/06 with just 10 minuted bbl change time. See how contagious this site can be. Also show me another site where you can get more help or learn how to stretch limited $ and still have fantastic accuracy

nrar15
11-29-2009, 10:14 PM
Get the Stevens a membership to the board and come have some fun.
Bob

dolomite_supafly
11-30-2009, 12:21 AM
Get the Stevens. The money saved will let you fix either the trigger or the stock if buying new replacements. If you don't mind used stuff you can get the great SSS competition trigger and a used stock in the classifieds section of the board.

If for nothing else caliber changes are simple. Even if you do not want to do them yourself a smith charges nearly nothing to do it when compared to most other actions.

In stock form my 223 Stevens shot .3's with handloads and 1" with factory ammo it liked. The 308 I had wasn't as good but I never loaded for it either. I am sure once a handload is tailored for it the thing will shoot.

Dolomite

EVOC ONE
11-30-2009, 01:46 PM
I bought one just before deer season last year. I wanted to take it hunting and only had one chance to get it to the range. I mounted a 3X9X40 Bushnell Banner on Weaver bases using Leupold Rifleman rings. Took a box of Remington Core Loct 150's. I bore sighted it at the range and test fired at 25 yards. It took two shots to get into the bull. Moved to 100 yards and fired five shots at a 1 1/2" bullseye. One shot hit high in the bull, the other four hit on either side anywhere from a 1/2" to 1 1/2" high with a 2 1/2" spread. Good enough for deer.

I did take it hunting and was able to bag a nice size doe at a measured 68 yards. A broadside shot behind the left shoulder. She ran about 15 yards before bulldozing hard into the ground. I havn't been to the range since with it. (Too many other projects).

Not much info, but I hope this helps.

Smokepole
11-30-2009, 02:10 PM
I really like the Howa 1500 series stuff, regardless of the rebrand. But I don't own one. I've looked at several, and I would prefer it to a Rem 700 by a small margin. The machining finish seems to be a shade better than later model 700s. I think I'd prefer the 'Howa' brand over the Vanguard just based on the look of the cheeseball fluted bolt and rear bolt shroud on the Vanguard.

I myself, got a Stevens 200 in 308. I poured the buttstock full of epoxy and I filled the forestock w epoxy and #8 shot. I added a 3 screw set at 3#. It shoots 3/4 MOA prone on bags w only about 40rds down the tube. I haven't cleaned the bore yet. I'm extremely satisfied w it. I can tell you that Savage's machining quality has improved over the years. It's finish is better than my older staggerfeed model. In the near future I'll be replacing the lug w a SSS model using SSS's wrench. And I'll be putting one of the metal trigger guards on it from SSS as well. I wouldn't mess w the lug, but I want to tighten the headspace down to match brass from my FL sizing die. So I figured I'd throw the lug on.

DGD6MM
12-01-2009, 09:48 AM
I'm going to buy one today and when I get it I'm pulling the barrel and replacing it with a 7-08 I've got here. This is going to be for my wife, sold her 30-06 remington. The .308 sporter barrel will be for me, I don't own one , but I will after today. :) I'm also going to change the trigger. Ed buy it and you will come back on here and tell everyone how pleased you are. Take care and have a Blessed Day.

Ed Kurzawa
12-01-2009, 05:56 PM
Im set on the Stevens. I was set before i asked just needed some reassurance ;D

Is there any loss of accuracy when the barrel heats up on there rifles? I will for sure go with a target or heavy taper barrel at some point, but i will be shooting the rifle in its stock form until i have the cash to do so.

Woodser
12-01-2009, 08:17 PM
I have 2 Stevens 200s, one in 223, one in 308. The 223 shoots great (sub 1/2" three shot groups @ 100 yards) with a bit of work on it. The 308 shoots 1.5" groups with no work and Fiochi 150 grain factory loads. I would highly recommend it.

dolomite_supafly
12-01-2009, 10:01 PM
Im set on the Stevens. I was set before i asked just needed some reassurance ;D

Is there any loss of accuracy when the barrel heats up on there rifles? I will for sure go with a target or heavy taper barrel at some point, but i will be shooting the rifle in its stock form until i have the cash to do so.

The only problem I had with my Stevens when it was new was with heat drift. After the barrel heated it would shift over an inch to the left. As long as I let the barrel stay relatively cool it shot great, 1/2 MOA or better, but if I haf to take more than 5 shots in a minute it would start to drift.

To fix the heat drift problem I had the barrel tensioned and shortened to 18". Since doing this I have had no problems at all with heat drift. I can shoot enough to get the barrel too hot to touch and not have any problems. The groups open up a bit but are still under MOA with my handloads. The tensioning cost me about 1/2 what it would have cost for a decent barrel, not including the labor or machining.

As it stands right now I have a lightweight rifle that started life as a Stevens 200 that I will probably never get rid of.

Dolomite

Woodser
12-02-2009, 08:04 AM
I do not have a problem with heat drift, since I do not let my barrels get hot. Shoot them as I might in a hunting situation and fire 2 shots every 10 minutes or so. Takes a lot more time to do load work-up, but I want to know where the POI is out of a cold barrel, and sight-in for that POI. Not to mention I have burnt the throat out of a few barrels by rapid firing. ::) So I do not do it anymore. ;)

Smokepole
12-02-2009, 08:56 AM
I too have serious heat drift after about the 5-6 round mark. Up until then, it's a solid 3/4 MOA gun.

tammons
12-02-2009, 09:28 AM
Your going to have heat drift with any sporter barrel.

I just loaded some 110 gr vmax reduced loads that shoot one ragged hole with my stevens.

That said you will get better results from a heavy barrel, but for plinking or hunting a sprter is fine.
You can always change the barrel later.

Woodser
12-02-2009, 11:45 AM
what was your load, tammons? When I get around to working up loads for my 308, I might try the 110 VMax myself for a 'yote load.

tammons
12-02-2009, 11:55 AM
Reduced load for my dad who is 88 yo, bro in law with a bad shoulder and a plinker for me.

110 vmax over 45.5gr of H4895.
Got about 2850-2900 fps out of it.
2.8 col I think.

This would also work with a barnes 110 TSX.
With min opening speed probably good to about 200 yards.