PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical Question...

Pages : 1 [2]

Senderofan
03-14-2012, 07:48 AM
Frank:

I think you'll also find, at increasingly longer ranges, that ( Generally ) the heavier bullets are inpacted less by the wind than their lighter bullets in that caliber. You'll notice that guys shooting 1000 yard with .308 Win. are generally using 175gr. and up( the exception is the 155gr. Palma.) The 168's are a great bullet...but lose something between the 600 yard line and the 1000.

Good Luck,

Wayne

Celtic Warrior
03-14-2012, 09:38 AM
Hypothetically

just ran this through my hand held:

.308 168g HRN A-Max @ 2424fps goes subsonic at 860 yds (1115.0fps)
.308 208g HRN A-max @ 2424fps goes subsonic at 1210 yds (1118.5fps) < different form factor

Which one falls out of the sky first?
but you still have to live in the realm of pressure limitations to said cartridge and the speed will not be the same for different weights. :) I love monkey wrenches!

These velocities were picked because they are well under the SAAMI Pmax, by at least 9 ¼ %, for the round. The heavier / longer round goes further (which was the question) for all the reasons stated in this thread and more.

fgw_in_fla
03-14-2012, 09:18 PM
Celtic - Thanx for the info. It's much appreciated. ;)

Sendero - I've heard that from others before. A heavier bullet will tollerate wind a little better than a lighter one. Thanks. ;)

Thanks to all for your input. I think I'll call in for a few million bullets & a truckload of powder tomorrow. I need to get loaded up for the weekend.

Thanks, again!

GaCop
03-15-2012, 07:21 AM
make it easy on yourself, google. the JBM ballistics calculator. They have a calculator for max range including angles of incident and flight time, it really makes you think about what's beyond your target.

-J

+1 and from actual firing experience, it pretty darned accurate!