twarren
03-12-2012, 06:36 PM
What are the consequences if your tang is not free floated

243LPR
03-12-2012, 06:40 PM
Metal touching wood.

sniper15545
03-12-2012, 06:57 PM
It really affects accuracy in a Savage for some reason.

ellobo
03-12-2012, 08:04 PM
If the tang is on the wood and you tighten the mounting screws you are putting a bending moment on the action because the screws are pulling the action down while the tang is captured. Unlike most other makes, Savage mounting screws do not go into the tang but into the body of the bolt. To see what I am saying, put a 12 inch wood ruler with 2 inches on a flat surface with the rest extended. Then with both hands put even downward pressure on the other 10 inches of ruler and watch what happens to the 2 inches on the flat surface.

El Lobo

hank440
03-12-2012, 08:16 PM
if your tang isn't free floated it will not necessarily effect accuracy at all, this is a savageshooters myth

fgw_in_fla
03-12-2012, 08:50 PM
I noticed a definite difference in consistancy / accuracy after insuring the barrel and fore end was full floating with room to spare for bipod loading. I gave the tang a little breathing room just for good measure.

Can't vouche for it's necessity.... Maybe we can call MythBusters :o :o :o

OR - Start our very own SavageMythBusters :o

You have nothing to loose & consistancy to gain. I would do it.

But, that's just me...

Rooster 50
03-12-2012, 09:42 PM
Depends; I have a 6BR built on a striker action with a 1/2 sleeve on it sitting on a full length bedding block. The tang is glassed in and it shoots dead nutz. I have other standard savage actions in wood stocks that don't shoot worth spit unless they are floated in the tang and FWIW most of them have benefitted greatly from bedding the recoil lug also.

ellobo
03-12-2012, 10:34 PM
[quote=hank440 ]
if your tang isn't free floated it will not necessarily effect accuracy at all, this is a savageshooters myth

If you put the action in the stock and the tang is touching the stock without any tightening of the action mounting screws and you then torque the screws putting even more pressure upward on the tang I cannot see how it would not affect accuracy. Why it would be considered a myth I have no idea. Thats the first time I ever heard that. There is a reason why everyone on this forum I have heard in the years I have been on here recommends floating the tang. I can see why.

El Lobo

earl39
03-12-2012, 10:40 PM
[quote=hank440 ]

If you put the action in the stock and the tang is touching the stock without any tightening of the action mounting screws and you then torque the screws putting even more pressure upward on the tang I cannot see how it would not affect accuracy. Why it would be considered a myth I have no idea. Thats the first time I ever heard that. There is a reason why everyone on this forum I have heard in the years I have been on here recommends floating the tang. I can see why.

El Lobo

You float the tang on a Savage for same reason you bed the tang on a Remington..........To get the most out of what you have.