PDA

View Full Version : Nikko-Sterling Targetmaster scopes

SFLEFTY
11-29-2009, 08:32 PM
Does anybody own a "late model" Nikko-Sterling Targetmaster 6-24X44 or maybe 8-32X44? If so, what is your opinion of it and what would you consider equal to it in quality and precision? Thanks in advance.

GaCop
11-30-2009, 11:00 AM
I don't own one of the late model scopes but have experience with their older junk, I'd pass it up for something that can be trusted. If your looking for value and quality, look at the Vortex Crossfire or Viper series and also the Mueller's. Just my 2 cents of course.

SFLEFTY
12-01-2009, 05:09 PM
Well sir, I do thank you for your two cents. That's more info than I had before I asked.

iggy
12-02-2009, 03:14 AM
Do not have the Targetmaster but have a Nikko Sterling 6-24x44 Nighteater with LRX reticle currently being used for F Standard. The scope is quite clear even on maximum magnification but the parallax adjustment is a little heavy without a large focusing wheel. At magnification eye placement is more critical when using the scope. From feedback I have had from other shooters, the optics on the 'later' Nikko Sterlings appears to be an improvement over their earlier models. They are a reasonably priced scope that seems to be good value for money.

As a comparison, I have a Leupold VXIII 8.5-25x50 LRT with a varmint hunter reticle that I also use for F Standard. I bought this as the Targetmaster I ordered was taking a considerable time to arrive...5 months from initial order to when I cancelled it. The wait-time at cancellation was going to be another 4-6 weeks at least. At over 3 times the price of the Nikko Sterling Targetmaster I am not sure if it necessarily represents 3 times better quality but it is quite a good scope which I enjoy using.

Regards

SFLEFTY
12-02-2009, 10:14 AM
Thanks Iggy. If the N-S hadn't been so backordered for you, I would probably have my answer. I have considered the Nighteater also. I like underdogs, but not sure how brave I want to be.