PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: who can accurize a model 40 22 hornet ?

zap
03-12-2012, 07:02 AM
A buddy of mine picked up a used model 40 in .22 hornet a few months ago. He is struggling to get it to shoot to his expectations.

Is there anyone out there who can work on these to hopefully get it to shoot better ?

rjtfroggy
03-12-2012, 05:56 PM
More info needed,
what is he shooting
does he reload
how bad is it, or what does he expect
what kind of condition is it in,barrel,crown,chamber
does he use a scope-make model-is it good
is the scope tight- mounts
bench rest or free hand
Many questions and variables before a good answer can be given.

placek59
03-12-2012, 08:44 PM
What are his expectations? And double check everything as stated earlier.
-If he is reloading have him try Lil' Gun with some Hornady 45g bee bullets or 35g vmax's

zap
03-12-2012, 11:48 PM
a little more info for you....

He is shooting a Savage model 40 in .22 hornet. (It is a beautiful gun.)
He is a hand loader with over 30 yrs experience. He has MANY customs ,(6 ppc, 6 dasher,6 br, another 6 br on the way, etc....).
He can shoot good, as he shot a 10 shot group with his ppc on saturday that measured .290.

The gun was bought used but appears to be in great condition.
He has been shooting it at 100 yards and he will sometimes get 3 shots in one small cluster then 1 or two shots will open the group up to 1.25.

He is using lil gun, and the 35 gr v maxes and 30 gr bergers.

He has the very expensive sinclair rest (cost was twice as much as the hornet cost him)and shoots good from it with his other rifles.

He shoots mostly leupold scopes, and I believe the hornet has a vx II 6-18x 40 on it. It should be in fine condition.

He is expecting to get consistent .5 to .875 groups at 100 yards on calm days.

I will tell him to check his bases as he once had an issue once before with one.
I also mentioned for him to try small pistol primers .
I also told him when we shoot next time at the range, that I will take my torque wrench and gradually increase in 5 inch pound increments until we get to 45 inch pounds or the groups get better.