PDA

View Full Version : Unfinished stock, how to prep & paint?

seanhagerty
03-11-2012, 02:42 PM
I am getting a richards microfit stock....sometime!! Its on order, so it will show up when it shows up.

I am considering getting a whidden V block for it, it is coming inletted for a 110 blind mag action. How hard would it be to set this up for a V Block?

Since these stocks come unfinished, I am wanting to prep the wood, then paint it with camo paints. What do I do to prep for a rattle can paint job? Should I put several coats of linseed or tung oil on it first?

I know I should get fancy and get an air brush, or have it painted by someone that does fanciness. I dont want that. I want simple and I want to do it.

Any help will be appreciated.

Sean

tinkerer
03-11-2012, 06:11 PM
A. Yes, you can inlet for the V Block, but it will probably block the mag well if thats important to you.

B. Go to the finishing section under stocks. You need to seal the wood before painting. Tung oil works nicely. You can rattle can it after sealing it properly and sanding.

Larry
Tinkerer

seanhagerty
03-11-2012, 06:21 PM
Thanks Larry. I saw the unfinished stock info, but didnt see anything directly on that topic. I figured I would ask before going at it too hard.

Blocking the mag is not an issue for me. Thanks again.

Sean