PDA

View Full Version : Current production 10/110, how many different action types?

alpining
03-11-2012, 02:11 PM
Hi - I'm new here, so I apologize if this question is in the wrong forum or answered elsewhere.

Considering new production 10/110 family of rifles, how many different types of actions are there? Obviously, at least long and short, but is there also an action specific for the short magnum cartridges?

I'm trying to determine which model to get that will allow the type of caliber swaps that I might want. Also. I want to retain magazine function, so I won't consider changing to single-shot. Will I be able to rebarrel a short magnum rifle for 223? Vice versa? How difficult is it to get long actions to run short cartridges like 308 and 223 as repeaters?

Thanks in advance...

Blue Avenger
03-11-2012, 04:28 PM
there are also some that accept a larger dia. barrel.

Cycler
03-11-2012, 07:27 PM
OK, lets see:

Long action and short action
Small shank and large shank
.378, .473 and magnum bolt faces
Blue carbon steel and stainless steel
Blind magazine, hinged floor plate and detachable box magazine.

Any variation I missed?

alpining
03-12-2012, 11:06 AM
Okay, so I'm trying to determine limitations for interchangeability.

Bolt face shouldn't be an issue, as bolt face can be changed rather simply, correct? Mag type shouldn't be an issue since all current production models are center feed, and the rest happens outside of the action, correct?

Long / short action obviously limits things, that seems straightforward.

Which models have small vs. large shank? I'm guessing all magnums (short and traditional length magnums) will have the large shank. Anything else have the large shank? If I understand correctly, this means you cannot put non-magnum barrels on magnum actions, and vice versa.

Blue Avenger
03-12-2012, 03:08 PM
normal mags are small, the new super mags are large, target actions are large

bootsmcguire
03-12-2012, 09:18 PM
No matter which action you choose, there will be some level of limitation if it must be a repeater. The long action gives the most interchangability, as it does the 06 family, the Magnums, the 308 family, and even the WSM/SAUM well. The 223 family is the hangup for the LA. The 223-LA bolt-head is sometimes hard to come by and 223 family rounds don't usually feed from the LA mags well. If the action you get is a CF type, then you could shim in a 223-CF mag in the stock i suppose.

The Short action does the 223 family great, but obviously limits the 06 and Magnum families of rounds to being a single shot. The WSM rounds require a special bolt head for the short action and to be a repeater you would need a WSM push feed bolt-head (which seems to be hard to find).

Like Blue Avenger said, the RUMS, STW, WSM, and target actions are all Large shank. Pretty much everything else is Small shank. You can have a large shank barrel fitted to a small shank by having a smith turn the shank down to small shank size and rethreading as such.

Hope some of that helps.