PDA

View Full Version : 62/64-Series: Model 64 Magazine

TFlash
03-10-2012, 08:31 PM
Is there any way to break down the Model 64 magazine to clean, lube, tweak, polish, modify, etc. to improve feeding capabilities? Sweet rifle, shoots accurate, but have some issues with first round loading. Racking the bolt doesn't always strip the first round from the mag. Any suggestions? Thanks

PS Bought NIB bout 1 month ago.

MaDa
03-12-2012, 02:09 PM
I haven't seen anybody here have a problem or take one apart and tweek them. The only time I have any feeding problems is with subsonic ammo, but you can expect that. I don't have any issues with the first round feeding. Only thing I can think of is that the magazine does not seat completely. Are you loading the magazine with the action in the open position(slid back) or the closed(firing) position?

Mine functions either way, but what I'm thinking is the magazine doesn't seat completely if loaded in the closed position.

Good luck. Might be a call to Savage deal.

sharpshooter
03-12-2012, 06:25 PM
Slide the small plate out of the bottom. There should be a small lip you can catch with a flat screwdriver blade.

Sardine
03-19-2012, 06:35 PM
Yeah, it sucks beans, don't it? All 5 of mine have very sharp edges on the top lip that scrapes off lead. Have to get out the sandpaper. Who was the genius that let these out like they are?

sjlarson
02-05-2013, 08:40 AM
I also have problems with the Model 64 magazine feed - have not managed to fire a full magazine yet without a jam - too bad as the gun has a nice look and feel and finds the target well - in all my research it seems to be the general opinion that Savage screwed us on this one - gonna try to get Savage to send a new mag, but this gun will always sit in the back closet as a last resort toy

hsr65
02-20-2013, 11:34 AM
Watch this and his other videos on the 64: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk2uvLF33vc

MrCormier
08-11-2019, 09:13 AM
Slide the flat plate out of the bottom with a flat screwdriver, remove and inspect all the pieces. Soak them in gun powder cleaner, oil them up and reassemble the magazine.

Fasteddie01
08-11-2019, 04:10 PM
Hi MCormier - If he hasn't figured something out in 7 1/2 years, hope he found another hobby:p
BTW, I have an extensive thread on 'repairing' these mags on this forum. Also, Savage Customer service is good, I complained by email and after talking to a lady there they sent me 3 new mags to replace the 3 I had trouble with.
Ed