PDA

View Full Version : Barrel swap Model 10 FCP .308

Franklyn
03-10-2012, 07:05 PM
I need some advice. I have a recently purchased Model 10 .308, accustock and accu trigger. I shoot in F class /TR. The rifle with various loads will group about 1-1.25moa. I would like to improve this to .5-.75moa. My plan is to replace the barrel with a fully chambered Shilen. I've read previous posts about determining the barrel shank size but I'm not sure if mine is large or standard size. The barrel diameter directly in front of the shank is 1.056". I don't want to order the barrel until I'm sure of the shank size.
Also will the accu stock present any unforeseen problems when a new barrel with a similar contour (1.060 infront of the threads and .800 at the muzzle) is placed?

Aircraftmech76
03-10-2012, 10:54 PM
You have a small shank barrel.

Kevin

ellobo
03-12-2012, 05:20 PM
To get to the accuracy you are looking for you will have to glass bed the action and find a reload that works in your barrel. Just make sure the barrel and tang are free-floated. If you only use factory ammo dont expect to get below MOA no matter what you do. The Savage barrel will probably get you there if you do the above. Just keep an eye on copper buildup

El Lobo

hank440
03-12-2012, 08:15 PM
I call BS ON EL LOBO :o :o :o

I have a savage model 10 that I installed a CBI bull barrel, for testing I used FGMM 175GR it shot less than 1/2 MOA at a hundred yards

and less than 3" at 600 yards with factory ammo ;D

GaCop
03-13-2012, 06:53 AM
Federal Gold Medal Match is the bench mark all factory ammunition is compared to. Many rifles shoot it extremely well as yours obviously does. If your getting consistent .5" groups, stick with what's working for you. Not all rifles will consistently shoot that well with the FGMM.