PDA

View Full Version : Accutrigger Issue

BigDaddyKane
03-10-2012, 02:24 PM
I have a Savage 111 300winmag that I recently had the Accutrigger tuned down to the lowest tension allowed. At the range the other day I had the trigger acting up after the first round fired. Everytime I locked the bolt the trigger would lock up. Like you could hear the sear pin clicking or something. I literally had to hold the trigger forward when I locked the bolt and then make sure I pulled that trigger PERFECTLY or else it would "click" and lock up again. To elaborate, the safety mechanism would not come back to meet the trigger itself. Anyone running into this issue? Any solutions? Should I tighten up the tension some?

Any info would be appreciated.

T

thirty06
03-10-2012, 02:41 PM
Yes, just tighten it up a little. It's a common problem.

RStewart
03-10-2012, 10:02 PM
Same here on my Savage 12 FTR. At 8 ounces, trigger locked, but at 10 ounces it works just fine. Put a liitle more tension on it.

1jonzmith
03-11-2012, 01:47 PM
Really good point here: Your trigger is letting off as in "SLAM FIRE". Without the safety feature of the Accutrigger you would have lost your right thumb the first time it did that. Of course, if you were at the bench and snuggled up behind the "bad Girl" you would also have lost part of your face/head. The Accutriger affords the novice the opportunity to do dangerous things like adjust their trigger pull weight with the confidence that if they get it too light they will live thru the experience of that learning curve.

This is the reason I have always preferred a "cock on close" bolt. If that design has a trigger failure and slam fires then the bolt must be at least partly engaged in battery and a little is better than none at all.

Lets hear it for Savage and the Accutrigger.....

IMHO,

John

82boy
03-12-2012, 12:09 PM
Yup turn up the weight, every accu-trigger I have ever had does this.

BigDaddyKane
03-12-2012, 05:52 PM
Guys thank you soo much for the replies. John... it was only occuring with the bolt locked... is there still a safety issue there without the accutrigger's safety mechanism in place?

I'll be sure to tighten it up some and keep you all posted.

Thanks

T

earl39
03-12-2012, 10:29 PM
it was only occuring with the bolt locked... is there still a safety issue there without the accutrigger's safety mechanism in place?

There is a big issue without the safety mechanism in place. Without the center blade in place when the trigger tripped you would have had a round fired instead of just a click.

darkker
03-13-2012, 11:24 AM
Yes, as stated the "half-trip" is VERY common with crack-U-triggers. The pot metal they use is also VERY soft, so the more that you use them; they tend to wear quickly. Meaning you may have to turn it up even more.

1jonzmith
03-13-2012, 11:27 AM
Guys thank you soo much for the replies. John... it was only occuring with the bolt locked... is there still a safety issue there without the accutrigger's safety mechanism in place?

I'll be sure to tighten it up some and keep you all posted.

Thanks

T

The Accutrigger center blade feature(safty) saved you......as it is supposed to do. You are protected by the design. No worries! Reset your trigger wewight to what you want and try the trigger function with the gun unloaded. Whe you get what you want leave it. If, for some reason, the trigger becomes too sensative and light, the center blade feature will protect. Of course, as in any circumstance, you don't want to create a situation where you are al;ways relying on a safety feature. So setting it to the fine line where it miss-fires every third cocking would be a mistake. But, you seem to be on the right track and should have no problem. Remember to hive the rifle som sharp bumps on the "butt" and slap thestock on the sides to satisfy yourself that it won't click into the safty from bump fire forces.

You are OK. Don't worry and follow the mfr.s instructions. My Target action Accutrigger is supposed to hold an adjustment down to 1/2 pound and the Accutrigger on the other models goes down to 1 pound. Mine came set to 1 pound and 4 ounces and it ls great. Maybe I'll try for lighter later but for now it is perfect.

HTH,

John

BigDaddyKane
03-13-2012, 01:17 PM
Yes, as stated the "half-trip" is VERY common with crack-U-triggers. The pot metal they use is also VERY soft, so the more that you use them; they tend to wear quickly. Meaning you may have to turn it up even more.

Does this mean that the trigger will need replacing eventually?

cheetahjow
03-13-2012, 01:29 PM
No. One of my model 12 actions has over 7000 rounds throught it. It is on the fourth barrel but still has the original accutrigger. I am quite sure others have far more than this with the original accutrigger. In my case, the more I shot, the lighter the pull weight became. I did not adjust it when new, just shot it as it came from the factory. After about 4000 rounds, the problem you described happened. I measured the pull weight and it was 14 oz. I set it to about 1.5 lb and went on shooting.

CJ

jon_in_wv
03-13-2012, 11:04 PM
It is a common problem. I had the same issue with my FCP-K. The rifle was a tack driver but honestly I couldn't trust that trigger. Reliability it important to me and the idea that the trigger could lock up essentially disabling the weapon until I unlock it was a no-go for me. Personally I think its a poor design. I sold the rifle and I'll stick to the non-accutriggers from now on. I do like the accutrigger on my 22s though.

darkker
03-14-2012, 08:55 AM
BigDaddy.

It is a potential. As Cheeta says, Most everyone is fine. That said IME there is a surface hardening only. On one of my guns I didn't stop the half-trip problem for half of the summer. At that point I had worn through the outer surface. The metal was then VERY soft.

Just be aware of it.

BigDaddyKane
03-15-2012, 01:16 PM
Good to know. The rifle the issue was on is sort of a Frankenstein anyhow- McGowen 30" bull, Choate Ultimate Sniper stock w/custom saddle style cheekpiece, Superior Shooting Systems oversized recoil lug, etc. So I'm not opposed to upgrading to a new trigger assembly eventually. But for now, I just want it to function properly and above all SAFELY until I swap it out. Thanks for all the feedback. And update... tuning it down helped just fine.