PDA

View Full Version : Making a Thumbhole Stryker Stock

Pages : [1] 2

Appleseed
03-10-2012, 09:37 AM
I am about to sacrafice a stockys thumbhole to make a stryker stock. It is a perfect fit for the left hand action. The forearm will have to be chopped back a bit and will fit the heavy sporter barrel. Will fill the bolt handle cut and move over to the left side.

Where to chop the butt is another matter. The hand hold and grip are perfect. Thinking of leaving the thumb hole as is with a cradle behind that to rest against the wrist. So about 2-4 inches could be left behind the thumhole and brought back into the bottom of the grip. That leaves the top shelf for the safety tang intact. Should be strong enough for mild cartridges.

Any suggestions?

yorketransport
03-10-2012, 01:20 PM
I like the sounds of that. I have a Boyds thumb hole stock sitting in my lap right now, and that's about the way I'd cut it. It will end up similar to the old Fajen Push/Pull Contender stock.

Now you got me thinking. Where's my saw at........ ;D

Andrew

Appleseed
03-10-2012, 02:02 PM
Ha Yeah! I held an old single .22 cal rimfire pistol the other day. It was a competition match gun with an adjustable grip that wrapped around the outside of the hand and up under the wrist. It felt like a wooden glove. This stockys is too short for me as a rifle stock anyway! I'll see if I can find a pic of the Fajen.

Blue Avenger
03-10-2012, 02:22 PM
cut long!!! Wood stretcher's are hard to come by!

1jonzmith
03-10-2012, 04:05 PM
I will be doing that with a Thumbhole Boyds stock when I get my action back from Jim. Any cautions or advice will be appreciated.

BA, I will cut long and wide. I have heard that in wood shops and the ghetto. ??? ;D

John

Blue Avenger
03-10-2012, 05:13 PM
;D

tinkerer
03-10-2012, 11:28 PM
Having made one by hand and finishing several, I can tell you that a rifle thimbhole stock will be quite a stretch for your hand in holding a Striker unless you have huge hands, so good luck.

You may want to add some wood between the stock and trigger guard so you have some room to whittle out under the thumg for length of pull adjustment.

Pics required of progress. Now you know why BlueAvenger used the Choate stock to start with. That steep handle puts your hand closer to the trigger.

Larry
Tinkerer

Appleseed
03-11-2012, 12:07 PM
This is my second stockys. The stocks both have been short on the shoulder. The front of the thumbhole on both need to be shaved. This lets me get to the safety and the trigger better. There is a noticable knot in the thumb/index finger cradle that can be smoothed for fit and it puts the trigger closer. This one is the sporter stock, the mag contour barrel fits nicely with almost no wood removal. The forearm will need to be lopped a few inches and the sling studs moved. One will be moved to the rear of the tang to fix a sling.

When holding the stock with action and trigger, it fits me pretty good as is. If anything, I would add to the rear inside radius of the thumhole against heel of the thumb. I may try that with putty or tape before adding material. It will tighten the grip to my hand.

I plan to cut down some sporter barrel for this carry stock, the big bench stock is getting close to finished shape too. It's just not comfortable to carry in the field especially with a fat barrel.

greenhornet-1
03-20-2012, 11:27 AM
You may wan't to look at the Richards microfit Tac Driver stock for cutting off. I just got mine in the mail
and it looks good for making a pistol stock.

1jonzmith
04-16-2012, 01:07 PM
You may wan't to look at the Richards microfit Tac Driver stock for cutting off. I just got mine in the mail
and it looks good for making a pistol stock.

I ill do that.`

Appleseed
04-16-2012, 08:59 PM
I am a bit behind on stocks/pistols cause the weather got good too quick. Am thinking of clipping the thumbhole differently than the wood striker stock that cups the back of the thumbhole to the front. Thinking of making the thumhole in the boyds long to the rear and using the tang as a top cradle.

1jonzmith
04-17-2012, 05:19 PM
Apple,

The Striker seems to have a viscous flip regardless of the cartridge. As I see it, the the original Striker had the grip and trigger low. That puts the force well above the hand and compounding that, the Striker has the grip in the middle so the barrel flipping is more of a rotation of the mass. Rifle flip rotates around the butt of the stock so all the mass rises. Even the one I am making has the mass higher without the stock butt being the pivot point. The higher you get your grip the more stable the gun will be and the better the chance you will have of it "riding" the bags. Maybe it would be helpful to look at the AR15/M16 in comparison to the AK. The 15 has the recoil coming straight back along the barrel axis.

I hope you will share pics of what you do. I need the info and pattern you are making. Hope this discussion leads us both to a better understanding.

John

Appleseed
04-19-2012, 04:33 PM
Just re-looked the thumbhole stock. It does hold the grip high with the tang extending well behind the top of the hand. This will be a .223.

dwt
04-24-2012, 04:57 PM
BlueAvenger,
what hole spacing did you use in the Choate stock for your Striker build ?

Thanks

Blue Avenger
04-24-2012, 07:10 PM
It is a long action stock

tinkerer
04-24-2012, 07:53 PM
BlueAvenger,
what hole spacing did you use in the Choate stock for your Striker build ?

Thanks

dwt,

I have used the choate ultimate sniper stock with 4.275" (old short action) spacing for my rear grip stock in left hand.

BTW, I have another in the ultimate vamint style in 4.275" left hand available in your in the market.

Larry
Tinkerer

Appleseed
04-25-2012, 07:40 AM
I've got a used choate on the way for the left hand action. It pains me to start the saw through the thumhole and the choate. These two stock projects are dragging on, maybe sell everything and start over with a mid-grip striker as a donor, if I could find one reasonably priced.

tinkerer
04-25-2012, 09:35 AM
You can never have too many, keep building. ;D

Larry
Tinkerer

1jonzmith
04-29-2012, 08:10 PM
I've got a used choate on the way for the left hand action. It pains me to start the saw through the thumhole and the choate. These two stock projects are dragging on, maybe sell everything and start over with a mid-grip striker as a donor, if I could find one reasonably priced.

I asked this forum for any leads on a used Striker. I had a couple guys respond with Strikers with multiple barrels. I was not interested in any cal that was offered and that queered the deals for me. I made a MISTAKE! They wanted 900 or a grand for the guns and each came with a few barrels. I have $500 in my action, $70 in one stock and $350 in another. Barrel for $400. Reamer for $150. Scope was $600. You add it up. I could have sold the barrels for 100 each but I still would have wanted the BenchMark barrel in 6mm but my outlay would have been many hundreds less. Now I wanted the Safety Target Trigger and the big stub and stainless and I couldn't get that with the Strikers and that tipped the scale for me. I still have a ton in this project but I think Wifey can get most of the investment out when she sells off my estate. I know one thing for sure, there will be hell to pay if she can't. HoBoy!

Appleseed
05-01-2012, 04:56 PM
Got cold feet, can't stand to put the saw in these two stocks! I'm with you, anyone wanting to finish a quick left hand striker is about to have a chance, watch the FS forum.