PDA

View Full Version : choate

Pages : 1 [2]

trubble1966
03-20-2012, 06:33 PM
i have both the sniper and varmint.the sniper is 5.9 lbs. and the varmint is 3.5

calib
03-20-2012, 06:45 PM
i think the main reason i have found is that the sniper you can adjust the butt pad point of contact for your shooting position and there is a 1/2 " metal block that is heavy. i noticed i could but my tactical but plate in there, but i would have to switch screw points

calib
03-20-2012, 06:48 PM
i have thought of tearing into the stock in some spots to reduce some of the weight maybe with a dremmel.

Aircraftmech76
03-20-2012, 07:13 PM
I've noticed that my Tactical forend is pretty heavy. I might have to see where I can run a mill in there to reduce some weight.

Kevin

calib
03-21-2012, 12:00 AM
i took the demmel to it and took a bit off. the biggest piece that is weighing the gun down i hope i can switch out to plastic or do something.

Aircraftmech76
03-21-2012, 12:27 AM
Where did you take material out?

Kevin

calib
03-21-2012, 01:23 PM
i havent done too much to it yet, but i took out a 1/2" on either side of the rear bottom rail (between the pistol grip and the butt pad). i also took a bit off of the away side of the black cheak rest (only anout a 1/4" in width). i am going to try to figure out a replacement for the metal but spacer, weather i just get a 1/2" plastic and drill the holes where i need them and then mount it all up or ? that piece of maetal has got to weigh 1/2 lb or so its pretty heavy.

maybe ill find someone who will want to trade the metal but height adjusting plate for a regular 1/2" plastic butt pad set up like on the tactical or the ultimate varminter.

or just try to find a 1/2 " butt spacer that some one has but isnt using. i also have an extra cheek piece its the high one that i would be will int to get rid of

calib
03-26-2012, 05:32 PM
well i got too impatient. i went and tore my 243 ai barrel off its short action set up and slapped it on my new long action that has the choate stock and all and took it to the range friday after noon and with in no time i was shooting at tacks on the target board. i went out the next morning and popped a dog at a ways away. go to the predator section and look at "coyote down" and you will see the rest