PDA

View Full Version : Whats best all round primer

51smd
03-09-2012, 07:49 AM
I'm looking for a good all around primer for reloading my 6.5x55 swede 110 1:8 rate of twist.

riverat
03-09-2012, 08:31 AM
Sorry to say there is no good answer to your question,Primers are a development step to reloading,what is nice about primers are they are very inexpensive to try different brand,s.

Jeff

fgw_in_fla
03-09-2012, 12:20 PM
What RiverRat said.... AND.. You may find that after your Federal brass has been shot 3 or 4 times and the primer pocket expands to where Winchester & Remington primers are too loose, you switch to CCI because they fit a little tighter and you can get a few more firings out of it.

After you work up the load again, of course. ;)

I find Winchester & CCI have about the same horsepower. On my favorite work up of 55.6gr of H4831 in my .270 / 130gr Nosler, the CCI primers seem to fire about 2 inches or so higher than the Winchesters.

Pick a brand, any brand & work it from there. Before you know it, you too will have a few boxes of each brand with one brand you favor overall.... ;)

Trent
03-09-2012, 02:12 PM
Pick the one that is readily available.

Unless you are shooting Benchrest it is very rare that a brand of primers won't deliver good results. Now, in certain high pressure loads you may need to stay away from some brands of primers. For example, the .204Ruger is fairly high pressure and CCI primers have a thin cup thickness compared to others. Quite often the CCI primers will pierce from the pressure and spray you in the face when gases and such come out of the back of the bolt.

Like fgw_in_fla mentioned about CCI fitting tighter in the pocket, WOLF primers are very inexpensive and are even tighter.

darkker
03-09-2012, 02:29 PM
As said CCI/Win are pretty much the same animal. Win primers have been made by CCI for a VERY long time.
I can swap between the 2 in my 308 loads with no noticeable difference in groups or chrono.
The ONLY exception I have personally seen are switching to the BR2's. The SD & ES get cut in half.

earl39
03-09-2012, 06:21 PM
The best all round primer is (A) the one that works best with your loads in YOUR rifle. (B) the one you can get your hands on. As said unless you are shooting benchrest or large powder capacity magnum rounds you will not find an all round primer just lots of good ones.

Hombre0321
03-15-2012, 03:22 PM
I have never found CCI and Winchester primers to be comparable. CCI primers are made by Federal so I am not to sure about CCI making Winchester primers but could be I guess. Also CCI primers have the thickest primer cups of most, other than maybe Wolf those I do not know anything about. Remington Primers are by far the easiest to pierce as they have the thinest cups of all.

You will need to try as many different primers as it takes to find the "Right" one for your load and your rifle. This may happen with the first brand you try, or it may be the last one you try. But look at all of the good trigger time you get looking for that load.

roland

Trent
03-15-2012, 03:57 PM
Roland, where do you get your info? CCI has the thickest cup? They have basically the the thinnest in small rifle unless you use their magnums or BRs. Large rife primers are generally equal.

Trent
03-15-2012, 04:02 PM
Here is a great article about primers over on 6mmbr/accurate shooter written by James Calhoon. http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2012/03/primers-and-pressure-analysis-by-james-calhoon/

http://accurateshooter.net/Blog/calhoonprimers02.png

Hombre0321
03-15-2012, 05:53 PM
Well Trent my information came from the same place you linked to. I shoot Long Range Benchrest I only shoot CCI 450's. And if you will look at the information "YOU" posted you will see that the CCI 450's are in fact the thickest cup listed at .025.

Also using your link once again CCI's are not the thinnest that would fall to Federal's at .019 were the thinnest CCI is .020. I'm not usually one for nit picking but your (?) made me do it.

Roland

Trent
03-15-2012, 06:19 PM
I stated above "unless you use the magnums or BRs". I also said that CCI SR "basically" has the thinnest cup, which is true. They are at the thinnest along with the Federal 200.

I posted the link and info to clear up a lot of the unknowns. Also so that people can see the differences between LR and SR.

I've switched to the Remington BR primers for small rifle and like them a lot.

darkker
03-16-2012, 12:10 PM
The bulk of those numbers are the definition of a "difference without a distinction".
Manufacturing variation is all.

Think of it like the "difference" in thread spec on Savage's barrels, Vs. Marlin's X guns.
The threads are THE SAME, but Marlin lists out the decimal place farther.

CCI, Federal, etc all fall under the ATK blanket. Probably about 10 years ago(ish) when Win started advertising the "non-mercuric" priming mix, they specifically said that CCI builds them to "their(win) exacting specs".

Win hasn't made primers, or powders for quite some time now.

SMK Shoe
03-20-2012, 09:18 PM
I try to keep a couple different types of primers around. I usually use fed Small rifle match in all my bench guns but have used others and as long as you work up the data, no issues. Like some said, your gun will tell you what it likes, I've wasted ALOT of components trying to make a gun shoot a certain bullet/powder/primer combination vs it telling me what it will shoot. And without trying to Pi$$ in anyones corn flakes, Yes some primers are thicker than others, and some do fit looser than others. nature of the beast