PDA

View Full Version : bolt wont close on new rifle, even on empty chamber

bowhunter42
03-07-2012, 10:38 PM
Ok I just got back from the range and the gentle man next to me had just bought a new axis, stainless with the camo dipped stock, in 308. he was there to break in the barrel and sight in. He opened the bolt and tried to chamber a round but the bolt would'nt close but half way. he pulled the round out and tried to close the bolt but once again it would only close about half way, I was asked to look at it cause I shoot savage's so I took the gun and looked at it, and the bolt would only close about just over 90 degrees from center line of the bore. To me it seemed like a head space problem, but I have never seen that on a empty chamber! has any one out there had this problem, I thought savage shot each rifle. he is taking it back to Cabela's where he bought it, but Im really curious as to what the problem might be. Thanks Jay

thomae
03-07-2012, 10:55 PM
My guess: His forward action screw is too long. It is hitting the front of the bolt keeping it from turning all the way. Look into the chamber with a bright light to confirm. He can also check for witness marks/scratches on the bolt head where it might be contacting the action screw.

Solution: Check to see if the front and rear action screws were reversed. The shorter one goes in the forward hole. If this is not the problem, remove the offending action screw, cut or grind off the appropriate number of threads, clean up the edge of the cut and reinstall.

Blue Avenger
03-07-2012, 11:02 PM
what he said or a very long screw in the rear of the front scope base. both are drilled into the lug raceway

thomae
03-08-2012, 12:14 AM
Good news: Blue Avenger thought of that. :D Thanks, Blue.

Bad news...I didn't think of that. >:(
(Dang...and I thought I was doing well....on a roll...)

Bottom line: I hope it is an easy fix for your shooting buddy.