PDA

View Full Version : Changing Bolt Head to 223

bsekf
03-07-2012, 12:18 PM
Please straighten me out. I have a long action with a .473 bolt head. To change to a 223, exactly what do I need? Will a short action bolt head work? Do I need the extra baffel to shorten the bolt throw? I keep hearing about special extractors, firing pins , etc. What do I really need? Where is the best place to get them? Is it as simple to change a bolt head as it is to change barrels? Is a complete bolt the best/easiest way to go? A new bolt would negate my T&T'ed action. HELP

Bill

82boy
03-07-2012, 01:58 PM
Please straighten me out. I have a long action with a .473 bolt head. To change to a 223, exactly what do I need?
Either a Long action 223 bolt head, (Like finding a neadle in a hay stack.) or a change over kit from SSS.

Will a short action bolt head work?

Nope.

Do I need the extra baffel to shorten the bolt throw?

Nope.

I keep hearing about special extractors, firing pins , etc. What do I really need?

Just the bolt head.

Is it as simple to change a bolt head as it is to change barrels?

Yes.

Is a complete bolt the best/easiest way to go?

Nope.

A new bolt would negate my T&T'ed action. HELP

Sure would part of the T&T job is work done to the bolt, but the bolt head would not change anything. But you may want to get the bolt head from SSS because they will true it up, and cut the radious off the back so that the washer can be moved.