PDA

View Full Version : Lubricants....

Pages : [1] 2 3

fgw_in_fla
03-06-2012, 07:45 PM
What's a good moly based grease / lubricant for general purposes like bolts & such. When I look around at the local Ace Hdwre or auto parts, there's so many choices I can't seem to make up my mind. It would be so much easier if I looked on the store shelf & there was 3 or 4 choices. More than 5 or 6 & I get confused ??? ??? ???

What are y'all using?

MrMajestic
03-06-2012, 07:52 PM
Buy wheel bearing grease at the Auto Parts store and gun grease at a Gun shop or on-line like Midway, Brownell's, Sinclair etc.
The Engineers really do know what they are doing. ;)

drybean
03-06-2012, 08:23 PM
sta lube moly is what i use
drybean

fgw_in_fla
03-06-2012, 08:34 PM
This is where it can get a wee bit confusing...
I read an article by a well know competition shooter / builder that remarked "any oil will do.. I use regular 10w-30 & wheel bearing grease".

Then, along comes an article I read some months back that said "buy these products... they're specifically formulated for the abuse shooting can impart on metals... blah, blah, blah...."

Does this become a "use what you feel works best for you"?
OR
Can one of our resident Tack Driver Building Gurus throw their $1.14 (inflation) in. Being a former race engine builder from back in the 60's & 70's, I'm very much aware of the need for quality lubrication. I also know different oils & grease for different applications. If we were assembling a '71 Mopar 426 Hemi, I'd know what to use.
When it comes to rifles, I admit, I'm still learning. Lubrication is important.
Gimme your best recomendation....

MrMajestic
03-06-2012, 08:37 PM
The heck with the guns, more about the Hemi! :D

Grit #1
03-06-2012, 09:04 PM
Never Never let any teflon oil into your barrel. I use Kroil after cleaning a barrel to protect it. Some mix Kroil with Shooter's Choice to clean barrels. I use a wheel bearing grade moly grease on bolt lugs. I spray WD40 on the outside as needed. If I have fired a couple rounds or a match and will not be cleaning for several hours or overnight, I spray WD40 down the tube to hold the barrel till I have the opportunity to clean it.
Best regards,
Grit

fgw_in_fla
03-06-2012, 10:11 PM
Grit... I've had a few folks tell me & I recall reading about staying away from Teflon...

Good info...
Thanks.

Moly (aka molybdenum) seems to get the vote for a grease type lube. Anyone have a preference? I see on Midway there's some that are a suspension in other evaporating chemicals and then some as an oil that needs stirring to mix in the moly.

KG products seem popular...

One thing is certain. High temp bearing grease just ain't getting it for me. It doesn't seem to want to stay around longer than 4 to 5 rounds and then I need to find some paper towel.

Thank for the input folks.

82boy
03-07-2012, 12:09 AM
Buy wheel bearing grease at the Auto Parts store and gun grease at a Gun shop or on-line like Midway, Brownell's, Sinclair etc.
The Engineers really do know what they are doing. ;)

Most gun grease availble at gun shops is wheel bearing grease availble at the autoparts store just repackaged. Some culprits are Lucas red and tacky EP2, you see one of the ones listed on the list has a red grease in a suringe I know is the same thing. Prolongs EP2 is purple, and I know of a company that put it in a syringe and sold it. One of Amsoil's EP2's is green and is placed in a syringe and sold. I cant remember what the gold orange colored grease that Bats uses but it is also a repackaged EP2 grease.

sidreilley
03-07-2012, 12:20 PM
Guess I missed the word..... What happens when you use teflon? Personally I use Brian Enos' Slide Glide for most gun applications but have always suspected that many "gun" greases were sold elsewhere as something else as other posters suggest.

Stockrex
03-07-2012, 01:13 PM
I use dupont teflon lube spray in my walther 22 semiauto. So my walther is toast?

fgw_in_fla
03-07-2012, 02:23 PM
Hey... I never said I knew WHY it was bad... I just heard "Do not use Teflon on your guns".

With that in mind, I don't use it. I openly admit... I am not qualified to voice an opinion on the use of Teflon on your firearms.

Besides, I always thought it was for making non-stick frying pans... ;)

1jonzmith
03-07-2012, 03:32 PM
I read long ago, to my shock, that petroleum oil and petro based greases actually "do not like metal and will slide off of it under the force of gravity". WTF? said I...what does that actually mean. Well it means what it says and is a good explanation for why guns seem to collect all that oil in the bottom of the stock and darken the grain by the tang screw. Also explains "why" guns need to be taken down and re-oiled every couple months or weekly or years or whatever the DI says will keep you out of the brig. Seems only cosmoline actually lasts. Moral? Don't use Dino(dinosaur) oil on anything you value except as a laxitice except when cost is a driving factor and that includes any Hemi and my 440 as well.

SOLUTION:

Synthetic oils really like metal. Syn gets right down into the surface molecular structure and gets a firm "grip" and won't slide off no matter how strong gravity is where you live. It lubes better than caster bean oil also but doesn't dry out and turn to tar. If there is a down side to syn I still haven't heard it except cost. Can being twice as expensive as Dino products be a deal breaker when you are talking about your rifle or pistol or even your Hemi?

I have had wheel bearings RUST on only the upper half....but that just enuf to ruin them and cause failure. That vehicle was a medium truck and I had greased the bearings and run the truck a month before setting it aside. The Dino grease migrated to the bottom of the bearing cavity and left the top half unprotected. It was water proof grease and not soap base. If the grease migrates what is the oil doing?

I got curious about this stuff a few years ago and did my own "clinical testing". I dipped strips of mild steel in bees wax, 10W30, "Gun Oil", Syn gun oil, syn motor oil, and syn ATF. The wax was the first to show signs of rust, then motor Oil, then gun oil, then Syn Motor oil and the Syn ATF still didn't rust after a year and I got bored with watching it and switched back to watching paint dry for entertainment. The strips were "aged" in a hot and humid box that promotes rust. Choose wisely and if it is Syn based you stand a chance. Dino oil can have additives that make it a better performer but unless it is cosmoline you aren't on the inside track with any of it as far as I can determine.

I use a thick syn grease to lube my rails and high load bolt parts...including the ears. Syn doesn't thicken when used in sub zero temps so the grease is still grease and oil is still oil when you need it to be. My apology to those of you that have heard the well worn subject so many times. Seems that every 5 years or so a "new crop" sprouts that hasn't heard all the "folk lore" and superstitions. ;)

HTH,

John

Ray Gunter
03-07-2012, 03:45 PM
I'll probably get some flame over this

But just plain ole ATF is awful hard to beat. Use sparingly.
Been using it for over 25 years. Still works.

Willoughby
03-07-2012, 04:35 PM
+ 1 on ATF although I recomend Dex6 ATF (synthetic) - 0-20 Mobil 1 also works well

fgw_in_fla
03-07-2012, 04:54 PM
ATF... Now your talking.
ATF, Dexron in particular, is what we used to assembled engines with. It seems to have different characteristics than regular oil. It would "hang in there" while the oil pump was priming up.

I've wondered if it would be any good for firearms. I guess it one of those personal preference subjects although, I see in quite a few places where moly is the lube of choice.

ky-n
03-07-2012, 06:41 PM
+1 The synthetic ATF is great stuff except the BOSS complains about the smell... :(

Grit #1
03-07-2012, 06:53 PM
Never said don't use teflon oil ON the gun, just keep it out of the barrel. Seems that when fired over teflon does strange things that are not uniform from one end to the other and once in there it is next to impossible to get out. Exactly what it does I do not know. I do now it causes groups to open dramatically.
Best regards,
Grit

Ray Gunter
03-07-2012, 07:30 PM
ATF... Now your talking.
ATF, Dexron in particular, is what we used to assembled engines with.

I used to do some Drag Racing. Had a buddy that ran a SB with nothing in the motor but ATF. An 11 sec car

82boy
03-07-2012, 11:50 PM
Well look at Eds Red, it has ATF as one of the ingredence, and it works.

GaCop
03-08-2012, 05:27 AM
+ 1 on ATF although I recomend Dex6 ATF (synthetic) - 0-20 Mobil 1 also works well

+1, is a great lube on full auto ARs too.