PDA

View Full Version : New Savage Hog Hunter

Pages : 1 [2]

WALKER80
03-13-2012, 04:03 PM
Looks like the stevens 200 I bought for $150.00 still shot under an inch but ugly as hell.

Gunjack
03-16-2012, 10:10 AM
Well I received my gun back from Savage. They fixed:

1. The stock, full replacement. Nice new stock, beautiful.
2. Refinished the whole gun, to fix the wear on the receiver. (I thought this was nice, so the whole gun is uniform.
3. They shipped it back to me very fast, not one cent out of my pocket.
4. Bolt head uncleaned, looks the same as when I sent it back to them. :(

It was a battle. I actually went back through my cell phone and checked the history under the numbers I called Savage,......I spent over 5.5 hours talking and on hold with them...lol.....(I know I have to much time on my hands)...

At first they tried feeding me some BS. They tried to explain that the rust on the bolt was left over "Dulite" or "hotbath". The treatment that they use to apply the finish to the gun. Well I called and spoke with Walt, the owner of Dulite. He said that Savage does not use Dulite, they use hotbath, but they are exactly the same process and end result. He explained to me that if the material on the bolt was a result of the hotbath process. Then it was done incorrectly and at to high of a temperature. Also if it was happening on the bolt, it would happen in other areas on the gun where the same parts were coated. So rust or no rust. I do want a poor finish or rust on my new gun anywhere.

The stock, at first they weren't going to replace the stock. Then they were going to fix it. Then they wanted to replace the stock. Then they,.......around around we went. I spoke with about 3 people untill I got to the big man upstairs. He, when we were on the phone went and got my gun, so he had it in front of him.

In it's simplest form it went down like this. Stock ok, we will replace this,....finish ok we will fix this,......bolt face,.....still got the Dulite story.......We will ship it back to you asap when it's all done.....

Several phone calls later,....some of them not so nice.

At the end, they agreed to have the gun refinished and a new stock put on. I have the gun back and am very happy....with one exception. They did not clean the face of the bolt. So I am going to take it to a local lab to have it tested...I know this might seem like overkill. In my mind there shouldn't ever be anything like this on a gun. The fact that it went back to the company and was scrutinized by the head of customer service and it still came back to me uncleaned and the exact same way I sent it to them (the bolt face), makes me unhappy. They should have at least cleaned it. Or replaced the bolt. This was my biggest grip and they didn't fix it. So I plan to scrub it, clean it and oil it up to help preserve it. However, if the rust is internal. It will keep coming out with me working the bolt. So After I shoot it the first time, we will see if it is still coming from the inside.

TRguy
03-16-2012, 10:24 AM
Being I live 20 minutes from Hyatts, its very likely your items was sitting on the shelf and re boxed for shipment to you. I have never heard of a rifle coming from Savage with out the firearm in a plastic sleeve bag and also the bolt. As to the rust and the stock, I agree those items should be satisfactory when they reach you from Savage.

I personally would recommend you buy from Buds Gun Shop on line as they have a NO HASSLE Return policy. You get an items and for whatever reason you arent happy with it (Inspect it before you transfer it) call them for a call tag and they pay the freight back and send you out another replacement or refund you money.

I know of what I speak. I am an FFL and handled literally hundreds of transfers from Buds and the few that had to go back (Rugers and Remingtons only so far) went back without a hitch.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php

yoter
07-31-2013, 07:41 PM
Bought my hog hunter 308 from Buds. Great value. Arrived as new with none of the problems described above.