PDA

View Full Version : how hard is it to glass bed?

jonrobinson
11-29-2009, 01:39 PM
OK guys. I have a 110 .270 win that I need to glass bed. How hard is it to do this?

The gun is wood stock. Also the action screws are not stripped but never seem to get really tight. Also seem to loosen some after shooting. Not real loose, just not as snug.

Thanks for the feedback!

Eric in NC
11-29-2009, 02:31 PM
It isn't hard - there is a how to on here somewhere (may not be able to see it w/o a paid membership).

Does your rifle have pillars in the stock for the action screws? Doesn't sound like it and that may be your problem. For those I would look on ebay (if you use them) for "savage pillars" and buy the set sold there (knurled aluminum rod contoured to fit your receiver). Best to use a drill press and drill the action screw holes in the stock out a bit oversized but you can use a hand drill if you are careful. The pillars will keep your screws from compressing the wood when you tighten them down.

As to your original question - put a couple of layers of masking tape on the tang of the receiver, put a layer or two on the sides, bottom, and front of the recoil lug. Take off the trigger assy. then put play-doh in all the nooks and cracks on the action so epoxy wont flow in there. Coat with a release agent (car wax, pam olive oil spray, acra-glass release agent, whatever) then coat it again to make sure you got everything and go to town.

Lots of hints and tips out there - easy to do, just make sure you use a gel consistancy epoxy (like acra-glass gel or JB Weld) rather than one of the runny ones (like regular acraglass).

xhogboss
11-29-2009, 03:44 PM
Good enough is pretty easy. Perfect can be a bit harder. Patience, taking your time and prepping the action are keys. Eric's right on recommending a putty or paste consistency product. I've used JB Weld with good success. Lots of people swear by Devcon, and I did a Model 700 a few weeks ago using a product called PC-7 epoxy paste. My best luck has been using neutral Kiwi shoe polish as a release agent.

Here's a link to a good article about bedding: http://www.6mmbr.com/pillarbedding.html You may want to research a few more and then jump right in.

Did I mention the release agent is really important? :D

jonrobinson
11-29-2009, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the help! I do not think the rifle has pillars in the stock for the action screws. It just looks like the screw pulls up against a plastic washer. This is a non-accutrigger gun. Appears to be factory wood stock. Do Savage's normally come with pillars in the wood stocks?

Thanks!

Jonrobinson