PDA

View Full Version : Good idea or not?

kelbro
03-06-2012, 12:36 AM
I have a couple of target barrels that I would like to have re-profiled to a varmint contour. For both weight and aesthetics. They both shoot so well that I am afraid of messing with them.

I'm guessing that this would change the harmonics and I would have to re-develop the loads for them, right?

Would they also have to re-crown the barrel?

Anybody done this with positive results?

sniper15545
03-06-2012, 09:44 AM
It would be alot cheaper I would think to sell them and just buy the barrel profile you wanted.

earl39
03-06-2012, 10:31 AM
I'm guessing that this would change the harmonics and I would have to re-develop the loads for them, right?

I have not had this done bit in theory the answer is YES.

Would they also have to re-crown the barrel?

That would depend on the smith. If set up correctly all that would have to be done is take a light cut to remove any damage where the live center ran (that is re-crowning just not removing but 50-100 thousands) and round the sharp edge on the outside edge of muzzle.

As sniper said you might come out cheaper just buying a new barrel with the profile you want. Check your prices and make your decisions.

kelbro
03-06-2012, 03:53 PM
I can get the profiles changed for less than $70 each. I would lose more than that selling/replacing them and risk getting a barrel that didn't shoot as well. And there's the wait time at Shilen or Benchmark. Re-profile would be less than a week.

Of course, there is the possibility that I could get one that shoots even better but I'm not usually lucky that way.

Appleseed
03-07-2012, 12:57 PM
Just had a sinarms varmint turned down to .750" straight for a stryker. Cost $50 blasted and cerakoted.

kelbro
03-07-2012, 10:52 PM
Thanks appleseed. Let me know how the before and after compares.

Appleseed
03-08-2012, 11:56 AM
Haven't shot it yet, trying to shape up the pistol stock. But, the turning was good and the cerakote looks good, even on the end radius, no sluff or thinness. When I get it set in the stock, I'll post a pic. I took a chance on looks and shooting. The big dia barrel was too heavy for the stryker action imo, and didn't have an arm and leg in it anyway.