PDA

View Full Version : Annealing temperature

Pages : 1 [2]

barrel-nut
03-06-2012, 04:47 PM
Wait'll you try the Hornady One Shot Wax Flavored Cookies. They ought to make a big hit around the holidays...

Probably the best use yet for this stuff! Be aware, every third cookie will stick firmly to the pan, requiring the purchase of a new "Stuck Cookie Extractor" gadget!

thomae
03-06-2012, 06:22 PM
...as the saying goes,

"Just a pinch (23.2 grains to be exact) of Varget between the cheek and gum..."

but I digress. What was this thread about?

I am thinking of making myself an annealing machine some day.

fgw_in_fla
03-06-2012, 07:41 PM
Thomae... This started as an annealing thread. It seems to have taken a slight turn toward "Recipes for the Discriminating Savage Shooter"..

Lord only knows where it could go from here... :o

If you do come up with some kind of contraption such as the Thomae Auto-Annealer or the like, do share. You never know. There may be a few good ideas here to help the project along.

Personally, I kinda like doing everything by hand. It gives me the opportunity to inspect the cases many times. After a few incidents I had with Winchester products, I use extra caution.

gotcha
03-07-2012, 03:23 PM
WHOA! ..... For a minute I thought I'd just logged in @ the Paula Deen forum ::) Thanks for ALL the input! I'll be trying many of these ideas as soon as the blisters on my finger tips heal. (thanks Frank!)

fgw_in_fla
03-07-2012, 04:56 PM
Ya see... Now you know how long to hold it.

Did I forget to mention I would hold the glass of iced tea between heating the cases to cool off my digits?

gotcha
03-07-2012, 07:41 PM
LOL! Guess I missed that part ??? So.......... now I have to deal with blisters AND frostbite?

ellobo
03-08-2012, 08:32 PM
Here is how the old timers of my youth did it. Get a shallow pan that will hold about an inch of water. Stand the cases in the pan butt down. Heat the necks-shoulders that blue-grey color with a berz-o-matic torch with a pencil flame nozzle and tip over into the water. Nice shiney cases right out of the tumbler are easier to see the color on. Been doing it for yrs, seems to work OK.

El Lobo

GaCop
03-09-2012, 07:43 AM
Here is how the old timers of my youth did it. Get a shallow pan that will hold about an inch of water. Stand the cases in the pan butt down. Heat the necks-shoulders that blue-grey color with a berz-o-matic torch with a pencil flame nozzle and tip over into the water. Nice shiney cases right out of the tumbler are easier to see the color on. Been doing it for yrs, seems to work OK.

El Lobo

+1, that's the way I did it years ago. I do like the Tempilaq method though, lets me know what the heat is doing at critical areas of the case.

I did some 308 cases yesterday (LC 71 Match) that came out good.

gotcha
03-13-2012, 01:07 AM
Update, decided to go w/ Coverdogs advise since I already had 650* tempilaq. W/ single torch I duplicated his results by starting at a short dwell time then allowing case to cool completely. Continued to increase dwell time in 6/10th sec. increments followed by complete cooling. Got perfect Tempilaq readings @ 6 sec's........ 1&1/4" cone length, tip of cone 1&1/8" from center of case holder...... Color on the Lapua 6.5X47L cases was a beautiful gold ( I can see gold :D) W/ a thin ( 1/8") blue stripe 3/16" below shoulder. Critical casehead DIDN'T overheat..... Necks passed the "springback" test. Why the gold color? damedifiknow!....... Maybe cause I didn't quench in Iced tea ::) Next step, ( I'm OCD too) a 20 lb. propane tank w/ "t" fitting & two torch heads. If I don't end up burning down the garage, I'll let y'all know how it works out....Coverdog... Thanks for the excellent advise. Dale