PDA

View Full Version : 62/64-Series: Savage 64 trr-sr

airandpower
03-04-2012, 11:43 PM
Hello to all,

First time posting. I am considering purchasing a Savage 64 trr-sr for plinking & probably an appleseed or two. This one is on discount for a couple of bills & looking over the standard equipment, it appears to be an awesome deal. I'm not a big fan of 10/22's as they are too small for my large frame & it seems you have to pour alot of money before it's a reliable tack driver. At least the one's I've shot had many ftf. How does the 64 trr-sr stack up? I read one report on another forum where the shooter complained of the trigger pull on this firearm? Any personal experience, recommendations, fixes? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MaDa
03-07-2012, 07:06 PM
I have a regular model 64 with synthetic stock. I have trimmed the trigger spring and added a brass washer to the side of it to clean up some side to side play.

I only experience ftf's when it hasen't had a light cleaning of the action after 100rds or so. A extremely light spray of aerosol remoil did the trick. Only happened the one time, no ftf's after that. To my understanding you cannot remove the action unless the barrel is removed.

I just removed it from the stock and ripped the crappy package scope off. Might go down and buy a new set of mounts and scope tonight. Then I can throw it together and give some type of a range report.

thomae
03-08-2012, 12:29 AM
I just removed it from the stock and ripped the crappy package barrel off.

??? ::) Thinking hard here. Did you mean scope? Or did you really take the barrel off? Just wondering.

MaDa
03-08-2012, 04:23 PM
Ha, I meant scope. I'll edit that. Lol.

Side note, the barrel is not pinned in like the bolt actions. It has a channel or grove cut in the barrel that a large C bracket fastens into from the action on the bottom. The front action bolt threads into the hollow threaded bolt that fastens the C bracket to the barrel/action.

Difficult to describe. Might take a picture....

sgreen3
04-01-2012, 12:51 AM
A pic would be nice, Interested in seeing how it would come off

MaDa
04-02-2012, 12:16 AM
http://savageshooters.com/images/Reviews/Savage_64FV-XP/DSC00450.JPG

The very right of the photo you can see the octagon shaped stud or screw that fastens the 'c'(it's like a U since its facing up) to the action and barrel. The octagon shaped screw/stud is hollow allowing it to be the front action screw to retain to the stock.

That picture is from the review section of the main website page. I think you have to be a paying member to see the reviews.

Hope that clarifies. That is as far as I've had mine taken apart. I've never released that bolt or removed the barrel and slide action. It's all knowledge from reading not doing.

MaDa
04-06-2012, 04:02 AM
I've never released that bolt or removed the barrel and slide action. It's all knowledge from reading not doing.

this guy has:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL3g0cnTB_w&feature=relmfu

farcrygunner
10-06-2013, 01:39 PM
Hi, I've just purchase a savage 64 TRR-SR, great little rifle, but with a very heavy trigger, so I thought, but I found that at least on my rifle all I need to do was to trim some of the stock, if one remove trigger guard and pull the trigger, one will noticed that the stock "hole" is to short, meaning the trigger buttons up against the stock, so all I did was to trim the back part of the trigger "hole" and learned that my trigger did not need upgrade, will try to upload a video later hope that helps.
later
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPt16kVL-M0&feature=youtu.be