PDA

View Full Version : Stevens .308 custom build

joe0121
03-04-2012, 09:49 PM
So I either have everything or have everything on order for my custom Stevens build. Here are the specs
E.R. Shaw 24 varmint contour barrel
Stockade Prairie Dog w/ AI Mags bottom metal
Savage Long bolt handle
Weaver scope base and Tactical rings
SWFA SS 10X42 Tactical w/ side parallax
Rifle Basix Trigger

Going to bed it with Devcon Plastic steel epoxy

Some time in the future it will get threaded for a suppressor.
Going to get a fluted bolt and recoil lug from Sharps Shooter Supply
Just waiting on the stock so I have some time to really think the build through. I have all the tools already

Is it worthwhile to lap the lugs on the bolt? What compound should I use? I also need new action screws I buggered the threads up on one dropping it and rolling over it with my chair :(

ellobo
03-05-2012, 12:29 AM
Last week there was a posting about lapping the lugs.The concensus is that it is an exercise in futility as the floating bolt head guarantees almost 100% contact with the lug raceways. Lapping will not improve it much if not at all. One thing you missed is a new recoil lug ground flat on both sides. Available from several sources.Try Jim Briggs at Northland ShooterSupply, he advertises here as NSS. The recil lug is more important than wasting time lapping the lugs. It was also pointed out that getting all the lapping compound out of the bolt body is a pita. I know, have done it on Mausers.

El Lobo

joe0121
03-05-2012, 08:14 PM
Last week there was a posting about lapping the lugs.The concensus is that it is an exercise in futility as the floating bolt head guarantees almost 100% contact with the lug raceways. Lapping will not improve it much if not at all. One thing you missed is a new recoil lug ground flat on both sides. Available from several sources.Try Jim Briggs at Northland ShooterSupply, he advertises here as NSS. The recil lug is more important than wasting time lapping the lugs. It was also pointed out that getting all the lapping compound out of the bolt body is a pita. I know, have done it on Mausers.

El Lobo

Pretty much what I thought. And recoil lug was already in the plans :) Man I cant wait to get this thing together.

Wards75
03-05-2012, 11:03 PM
I got a Steven's 200 in the works now, waiting for its arrival. Won it off Gunauction.com for $360 with a 3-9x40 vx2...I'm going to do pretty much the same as you are but in a 243, and can't decide on the barrel yet :-\

Post up some pics when you get it together!

joe0121
03-06-2012, 07:52 PM
I got a Steven's 200 in the works now, waiting for its arrival. Won it off Gunauction.com for $360 with a 3-9x40 vx2...I'm going to do pretty much the same as you are but in a 243, and can't decide on the barrel yet :-\

Post up some pics when you get it together!

Oh I will stock is the last piece I'm waiting on. Cant Wait.