PDA

View Full Version : Bolt lugs and receiver

243LPR
03-04-2012, 08:52 PM
Pulled the barrel off my donor action today and noticed that when the bolt is rotated into battery it doesn't even touch the ramps on the receiver that lead to the flats.I can tell pretty easy with the barrel off from the breech end. Is this normal? Guess it's a candidate for T&T,huh?

stangfish
03-04-2012, 09:34 PM
Did you remove the trigger? Just running some things around in that empty skull of mine but if the trigger or the firing pin assembly was out you might not have any acting force to hold the lugs against the action.

Blue Avenger
03-04-2012, 09:58 PM
they will be pushed back into place with the barrel back on.

barrel-nut
03-04-2012, 10:40 PM
Blue, out of curiosity, what forces the bolt head back against the receiver lugs (before firing)? Is it the ejector pushing against the case head, or something else? I've wondered about this before too. Obviously upon firing you'd have about 60,000psi helping it make contact, but I would like to think they're in contact before firing??

Edit: I think? this is basically the same question the OP was asking; if not , sorry, didn't mean to hijack.

Blue Avenger
03-04-2012, 11:19 PM
the barrel with the case head protruding the proper amount. Part of why you can not set headspace with undersized cases or gauges or an empty chamber when rimmed cases are involved. barrel will go in to far, drag and bind the bolt lugs

sharpshooter
03-05-2012, 12:53 AM
The bolt lugs are under pressure from the compressing the firing pin spring.
If you don't actually see the lugs engage the ramps looking from the barrel end, it is because the timing is retarded.

243LPR
03-05-2012, 06:42 PM
The bolt lugs are under pressure from the compressing the firing pin spring.
If you don't actually see the lugs engage the ramps looking from the barrel end, it is because the timing is retarded.

That's what I thought,thanx.