PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Sporter in 22"

Willy Pete
03-04-2012, 12:17 AM
I recently put money down on a Model 14 in .308 Win. Though the rifle is intended for deer hunting, I do get a little thrilled at the range, and thought a slightly heavier barrel might be a nice upgrade. So, while the stock barrel on the Model 14 is 22" most of the aftermarket heavy sporter barrels that I have seen all run 26".

Is there a good reason why?

Is anyone aware of a 22 or 24" heavy sporter, light varmint? Or do I need to special order this?

TIA

pdog06
03-04-2012, 09:13 AM
I think it is because 26" is just a very common length regardless of contour.

Pretty sure the ER Shaw magnum contour barrels are 24". Go to the Gun Shack section in the vendors classifieds. He is taking a poll right now for which caliber to do a group buy on magnum barrels. You can also order them seperate if your caliber isnt picked but it will be a bit more money.

Any of the barrel manufacturers will make the barrel exactly how you want it if you want to go that route.

teebirdhyzer
03-06-2012, 03:04 PM
I recently purchased one of the E.R. Shaw group buy barrels in .243. It was a 26" varmint contour. The barrel shot really well, but was longer and heavier than I wanted. I had my smith cut it off to 22" and put a recessed target crown on it. It shoots even better than before, and is exactly what I want. I am looking at getting a 6.5 barrel soon, and will also have it chopped off.