PDA

View Full Version : Help me build a .300 win mag

moecarama
03-03-2012, 12:46 AM
Need a little help here. I bought a 111 w/ accutrigger .270 from a pawn shop "cheap" and considering a .300 win mag build. I need help with parts selection. It will be mounted in a B&C Duramaxx or a BVSS stock..thanks in advance!

stangfish
03-03-2012, 01:02 AM
By barrel here on SS.com $65 in the classifieds.
http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,48940.0.html

Buy complete bolt from Midway $110+.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/175404/savage-arms-bolt-long-action-7mm-remington-magnum-300-winchester-magnum-push-feed-without-ejector-blue

Swap out ejector, spring and retaining pin into the new bolt.

If it is a Center Feed... slowly tweak magazine to fit. I place one round in the Magazine, measure from the top of the case to the rear edge of the magazine. then I adjust it until the 300WM case is at the same height. Not sure if that works for the Stagger Feed.

Load cartridges in gun and point in a safe direction. Squeeze trigger.

Good Luck

moecarama
03-03-2012, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the info; I will be ordering a CBI barrel in the next couple of weeks.
I 'll look around for the magnum bolt or order from Midway.

parkj5
03-03-2012, 08:24 PM
Edited my post did not want to break any swap or trade rules....

pdog06
03-04-2012, 08:40 AM
dont think you woulda broke any rules(well...i guess technically maybe), but you were just trying to help out a fellow member.
I just swapped boltheads with a member here also and it did make it very easy. He needed what I had and i needed what he had so it was a no brainer.

CheapGun
03-04-2012, 10:45 AM
OK .... I am new to the forum so this question may have been answered somewhere else. But anyway, here goes. I bought a Stevens 200 in 7mm-08 ... primarily because it seemed to be a cheap way to own a "barrel swap" gun. Now I want to rechamber the 7mm-08 to 7mm WSM. If I am right, I will simply need to:

1. Swap out the bolt head and I can use the part for a Savage 10 to do that?
2. Ream out the chamber.

Questions ....
1. Midway has the bolt heads on backorder. Where else might I find one?
2. What are the chances that I can buy a t-handle, rent a reamer from Pacific Toll, and ream the thing out by hand (as in I do not own a metal lathe)?
3. How much trouble am I going to have with the rounds cycling through the magazine?

CheapGun

Unclebobs4
03-04-2012, 10:56 AM
What are the odds. I recently purchased a new 111 in 300 Win Mag and converted it to a 270!!!!!
Still have the parts too. I love being able to change the guns so easily and still have a great shooter.

stangfish
03-04-2012, 12:38 PM
About the WSM.... You would need a new bolt head like you mentioned. Probably a new firing pin assembly. If you didn't remove the barrel the smith would do that and then reheadspace it for you. Now we are getting into the $200+++ range. You would need to buy a magazine or modify yours. Your twist rate is probably not optimal for heavier bullets but would do ok.

Or you could buy a Shaw barrel from Gun Shack right now for 158 + TT&L, buy a short action magnum bolt assembly, read up on barrel removal and headspacing on this site. Go shooting.
http://www.gunshack.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=183

Anything with a 308 based case is a much easier swap for you. 22-250, 243, 260, 7mm-08, 284, 308, 338F, 358W. Those last two have some knock down power but not considered to be 300 yard calibers.

Good luck

moecarama
03-04-2012, 09:24 PM
Edited my post did not want to break any swap or trade rules....

Thanks parkj5 for offering to trade. I might find a magnum donor to build from; which will be better to build from anyway. I just got a little anxious to build something else.

CheapGun
03-05-2012, 12:09 PM
Stangfish ... thanks for your reply. I think I figured out how to get my questions in a New Post instead of invading this one. Thanks everyone for your patience.

CheapGun