PDA

View Full Version : 284 Win advice

sidreilley
03-02-2012, 03:00 PM
Hello, I'm new here and am wondering if anyone out there has already built a .284 and can answer my questions regarding a build. I'm looking to buy a basic rifle or action for a 284 build and don't want to start with the wrong thing and have to fix it by buying another! I plan to use the longer 160-170 gr bullets so the OAL length I need is more then the 2.800" which is the official size for the 284. I have heard that 2.950" will be long enough for the magazine feed well but I'm not sure of that. I'm also not sure (and this is my big question) what the opening size is on the Savage short actions (.308 size) and if they will feed long 284s or if I need to use a long action to begin with. I have also seen a used Savage 110 long action for sale but it was originally a .308 and it's my understanding that Savage used to only have a long action and they simply opened a smaller feed well in the bottom of the action for shorter cases. The downside of this being that you can only use short cartridges (308, 243, etc.) but have the more limited stock selection of the long action.

I would appreciate any input from anyone out there who has already gone down this road. I plan to fit a 26" heavy sporter or varmint bbl and use the gun for a long range hunter and while I have no illusions of making it a serious F class gun, I may use it in any local matches I can find. I know it would be simpler to just start with a 7mm Rem Mag and use that but it's really more gun then I need and the 284 seems a more efficient, accurate round that would be easier on barrels and wallets.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Cheers,

ellobo
03-02-2012, 03:48 PM
The .284 was designed to have a fatter body but a rebated rim that would fit .308 sized bolt heads. To use it in a short action those long bullets would have to be seated deep in the case using up space for powder. The .284 has a short neck to give the case more powder and use with 140 gr bullets. Your best bet is to go with a true long action. Avoid those long actions made to shoot short action cartridges as the conversion is a real pain, been there, done that. Tweeking a magazine may be the only problem. Stand by for more people to jump in on this one. Also, check the ballistics of the 7mm-08 and the old 7x57 mauser. The 7 mauser is a great old 7mm cartridge and may fit into what you want for ballistics. The relaoding manuals are all written for use in old mausers and wont show its true poetential, plus it can be made into a rifle with only a barrel change. Mine is 24 inches and works well with 160 gr. bullets. Goods luck with your choices. If you are going to shoot those long bullets make sure you get a barrel with a fast enough twist to stabilize them properly. If you want really high velocities you will have to start looming in the recent reloading amnuals for something. I am sure a lot of recommendations will follow mine.

El Lobo

helotaxi
03-03-2012, 09:09 AM
I have 2 short action centerfeeds that I have seated rounds to 2.950" (.308 and .243) with no problem. My only concern would be the magazine feed lips. It may work normally, it may not like the fat case.

Have you considered the "go ugly early" option of the .280 Rem or the AI version of the same? Offers about 100fps over an over-length .284Win with heavy bullets, fits a normal long action and brass can be formed from .30-06 brass if need be.

sidreilley
03-03-2012, 10:26 AM
Actually I had considered the 280 (I'd rather not get into wildcats) as it should have a lot to offer, especially if I'm already using a long action. I have also considered the 7-08 and 7x57 (I already have 2) but the 284 seemed the first choice. Maybe it's just that the 284 is currently getting good press. At this point I haven't spent any money going one direction or another, I'm still trying to understand the details of the Savage platform so I don't end up wasting money I don't have. For a long time I've wanted a dedicated long range hunter but couldn't justify the price of other options (like Remingtons) but Savage seems to be a great alternative. Thanks for everyone's input.

Slenk
03-03-2012, 10:42 AM
280 is not a wildcat nor is the AI version.

birddogsx3
03-03-2012, 10:47 AM
I have a 284 it is built on a long action. To get the most out of the 284 a long action is needed unless you want to single feed. I tried several OAL with 160 class bullets savage S/A have more room than most but not enough 2.93 was about all I could get with reliable feeding in a S/A magazine. You can still get very good velocity with this length and Reloder 17 but I would rather be a little bit longer and not have to worry about pressures. The long action I have is a center feed blind mag for 30.06 based cartridges and feeds fine. You can find just but a Stevens long action from NSS or look around pawn shops they can be had cheap and let your build begin. I have a Brux barrel on mine in a Remington heavy contour with no nut just located an accu-trigger for it so I am almost there.

sidreilley
03-04-2012, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the tip Birddog, I checked out NSS and I think that will solve the action problem. I'm looking into the 280 AI a bit further, didn't realize it was no longer a wildcat. Still, I see folks are getting over 3000 fps from the 284 with 180 gr Bergers and reloader 17 and that looks awfully good. I haven't found any figures for the 280 AI to compare (same bullets) yet. Seems like all that case length should be good for a few fps.

MrMajestic
03-04-2012, 08:12 PM
Still, I see folks are getting over 3000 fps from the 284 with 180 gr Bergers and reloader 17 and that looks awfully good.

Gonna need some barrel length to try and reach that and I would think your case life would be very short! :o

birddogsx3
03-04-2012, 08:46 PM
3000 with 180's would be achievable but I would think you would need at least a 28 inch barrel and you would have to run them pretty hot to get there. 2850 should be easy to get to and not have a long sword and high pressures and you are not losing that much with that bullet. I would think the 284 is going to be more accurate that the 280 due to the overall efficiency of the 284. It has been winning bench rest comps for a reason. I am sure the 280 is plenty accurate but all thing being equal the 284 will come out on top. Run the numbers on velocity and that bullet you will be surprised how well it will perform with out being a brass eater.

helotaxi
03-04-2012, 10:52 PM
If benchrest accuracy is what you're after, the 7mmWSM should get consideration. It is the new darling of the long range BR community. More efficient case design than the .284 and better velocity than the .280AI.

MrMajestic
03-05-2012, 12:17 AM
If you used RE17 with the Berger 180 gr. VLD seated to 3.191" COL and had a 28" tube Quick Load says you would be running 79670 PSI! :o

leatherlunger
03-17-2012, 01:36 PM
I just put together a "Remage" conversion on my long action 700 with a CBI barrel from Jim at NSS. They are calling it a 284 Match or 284 LT and it is throated specifically for 180 grainers to maximze cartridge potential. This barrel is also available for savages. My project is still under way but i anticipate pretty good results from a 28" bull. 30" is the longest they make and i would recommend it if u wanna maximeze potential. 180 berger hybrids + .345 g7 BC+ 2900fps= America..... F$&@ Yeah!

Dennis
03-17-2012, 01:48 PM
If benchrest accuracy is what you're after, the 7mmWSM should get consideration. It is the new darling of the long range BR community. More efficient case design than the .284 and better velocity than the .280AI.

Long range, as in 1k yds?

The 7mmWSM is the way to go over the 284?

helotaxi
03-17-2012, 09:51 PM
Yeah, as in 1K.