PDA

View Full Version : Small fire pin size on large hole bolthead?

Nandy
03-02-2012, 01:41 PM
I ordered the new small size magnum bolt head/bolt head retaining pin/firing pin for the 7mm rem mag im building. My original (30-06) bolt head/bolt head retaining pin are the ones for the old large firing pin (my gun is from 98). Can I use the original bolt head and the small firing pin if I use the small hole bolt head retainer pin or do I need a new 30-06 bolt head?
Thanks!

ellobo
03-02-2012, 02:27 PM
If you use the small firing pin in a bolt head with the large firing pin hole you may have problems with the primers flowing back into the firing pin hole past the small pin. Especialy with the pressures of a magnum. Stand by, you will get more feedback on this subject.

El Lobo

thirty06
03-02-2012, 03:40 PM
The small hole all the way through the bolthead is the same size. Only the back part is larger.
You only drill out the shank end. I don't see a problem.

ellobo
03-02-2012, 03:54 PM
Didnt know that but now I realize why Sharpsooter told me to only drill to a certain depth yrs back when the question came up. If you stay with this forum you learn something every day. Thanks for confirming my ignorance. ;D

Nandy
03-02-2012, 07:56 PM
ok, thanks guys!

sharpshooter
03-02-2012, 08:06 PM
The older large hole bolt will work fine, just mate the small firing pin with the small hole crosspin.If you use the large hole crosspin with a small firing pin, the crosspin walks to one side and will protrude from the bolt body.

Nandy
03-03-2012, 08:44 AM
I see, so the actual part that hit the primer is the same size... That seems logical. So using the newer smaller firepin on the old bolthead is fine, no need for change but if it is the other way around the one would have to drill a portion on the rear of the bolt head to acomodate the larger shank of the firing pin. I cancelled the newer bolthead for the 06! Saved me some money. Thanks again y'all!