PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Replacement

rc109a
03-01-2012, 07:58 PM
Ok, been debating this for a while now and decided that I need to ask some questions. I have a 16 FHSAK that will shoot two rounds nice, but starts stringing the shots afterwards (3rd shot goes over an inch, 4 up to four). This is a thin barrel and was wondering if I should get a different barrel. I use the gun for hunting, but in the off season I like to go to the range and just shoot. Several people on the boards have decided that this accuracy is good enough for a hunting rifle, and have bashed me for it. I am just trying to get the most out of my gun and make it as accurate and fun to shoot. Some people seem to think that is strange.

I don't shoot very fast, but I want to be able to maximize my shooting time without waiting over 15 minutes between each shot (nominal time for the barrel to cool down a tad bit to get somewhat consistent shots). Is this unreasonable? It was suggested to get a heavier barrel and this would help. I don't have this issue with any other rifle, just this one (have 3 others in 308 with factory barrels a Remington, Ruger, and a CZ).

So I guess I am asking should I get a better barrel? Maybe switch to a slightly heavier profile? What about the stock? Can I use a heavier barrel with the current accustock setup? I am don't want to make the rifle too heavy, but am willing to increase the weight a little to get more range time out of the gun. I don't even have problems with going to a short barrel (20") if this keeps the weight down. I only shoot 300yds or less and know my limitations.

Sorry for making this so long. Thanks for the help or suggestions.

JackinSD
03-01-2012, 08:23 PM
A quick search of vertical stringing and you will find a multitude of possible problems.

rc109a
03-01-2012, 08:38 PM
Did that. Got one page of results. None of them match the problem that I have. Good idea though. Savage even states that this rifle strings, but because the first three shots are under 1.5 inches (near perfect conditions and on a stable rest) it passes.

JackinSD
03-01-2012, 08:52 PM
Good luck. Like I said, there are a multitude of possibilities and any one of them could be the resolution. I sure hope somebody with a good fix helps you out.

SMK Shoe
03-01-2012, 09:31 PM
Pick your self up a heavy or full bull pre fit from one of the venders in a caliber you want to punch paper with. put that barrel on during the off season and just before season starts, put on the thin profile ( easy to carry ) barrel and zero it. best of both worlds.

rc109a
03-02-2012, 08:47 AM
I like to train with what I use. I have a heavy barrel 308 (remington) so that is not a good option for me. I just want to make this rifle one that can go to the range and enjoy punching paper and then take it to the hills.

keeki
03-02-2012, 09:27 AM
first, make sure the tang is floated and if not then float it. If that doesnt fix it then place something between the barrel and forearm to create a constant pressure and see if the stringing lessens.

lal357
03-02-2012, 11:25 AM
Maybe my thinking is wrong but I've always been told to make sure the barrel is floated the entire length. That aY it will always come to rest at the same spot

SMK Shoe
03-02-2012, 01:19 PM
Maybe my thinking is wrong but I've always been told to make sure the barrel is floated the entire length. That aY it will always come to rest at the same spot

You are right about being free floated the entire length, But to trouble shoot vertical stringing it does help to put something between the barrel and stock. If the stringing goes away or is lessened then you know where to continue working. If nothing changes, than you know what it is not. Also, you can check the torque on the action screws. Not sure how much it affects a two screw action, but it does affect alot on a Target action ( three screw)

rc109a
03-02-2012, 01:50 PM
I constantly check the torque values. I have not tried putting something between the barrel and the stock though.

Trent
03-02-2012, 04:27 PM
These things may look dorky as ****, but they flat out WORK. Might be something to consider. I've seen them in action and have one on my pencil barrel 7-08. They do work and they are inexpensive. Read the reviews on Midway. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/593560/limbsaver-sharpshooter-rubber-black

Limbsaver "Deresonator"

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/medium/593/593560.jpg

rc109a
03-03-2012, 05:12 PM
Trent, yes it does look funny but as long as it works....

I guess the biggest reason for wanting to swap the barrel is the fact I have lost confidence in its ability to perform as I expected it to. I know that a barrel swap may or may not fix this issue, so that is my situation. I am at the point of scrapping the entire rife (except action) and starting over from scratch. Just like any project I still have to evaluate if doing so is cost effective and will I see the results I am hoping for. I have considered selling it and starting out with an action and going from there, but I have one already so I might as well see what happens. I also think that by doing this I will learn a lot and really take some satisfaction on turning out a quality project.

So here is another issue. If I decide to rebuild this rifle, can I expect to accomplish all the work myself or will I be needed to send it off to be done at some point. I am pretty handy with tools and have no issue taking on projects. I don't have a lathe, or any expensive metal working tools. Is the Model 16 receiver a good place to start or should I look for a different receiver? I am almost tempted to change it over to the 260 instead of the 308. Thanks for all the help so far given and not bashing me for every question I ask...

idratherbshootin
03-18-2012, 08:06 PM
Is the rifle bedded? Is the barrel free floated. If yes to both questions, buy a premium Stress Releived barrel of the same contour. That should make the difference.

bquillin
03-18-2012, 08:13 PM
what caliber is your gun then we can maybe help you out ???

rc109a
03-19-2012, 06:49 PM
It is a 308. I am looking at trying some simple things first. I never have liked the stock, so I ma going to get a full bead Houge stock. I will eventually get a heavier barrel, but not sure yet. I am pretty sure if the rifle shoots better with the current configuration, then I might take a chance and shorten the barrel to 20". So many ideas, yet so little money...lol

JackinSD
03-20-2012, 01:01 AM
Looks to me like a couple of good suggestions by Trent and SMK Shoe, with both being know to work. Heck, for a total of $10, I would try both. Might save alot of unwanted and unneccesary work/expense.

davemuzz
03-20-2012, 11:21 AM
Pick your self up a heavy or full bull pre fit from one of the venders in a caliber you want to punch paper with. put that barrel on during the off season and just before season starts, put on the thin profile ( easy to carry ) barrel and zero it. best of both worlds.

This is exactly what I did. My contour barrel will give 3 in a cloverleaf but after that it just plain heats up...and that is what it is. So, I bot a Shilen varmit barrel....and then a B&C stock to handle the heavy barrel. It may seem a bit foolish to "almost" have 2 rifles.....but I'll fix that one day by either buying another action, or sniffing around and getting a "steal" on a donor Savage.

But for now my summer will be good knowing I can shoot the heavy barrel and not be all that concerned about heat.

Dave