PDA

View Full Version : How to remove barrel nut without barrel nut wrench?

Pages : 1 [2]

geargrinder
03-03-2012, 12:10 PM
It's on Sharpshooters site.

http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/images/Accessories/smbnw.jpg

CypherOrc
03-04-2012, 05:52 PM
I ordered the wrench from OpticsPlanet.com because their website made it appear that they had it in stock. Unfortunately, it is on back order. Supposidly, it will be instock later this week. I actually went to the gun show (SunCoast in Lakeland, FL) today in the off chance that one of the venders might have it.

I actually wondered about the pipe wrench, but, wondered how bad the barrel nut gets torn up durring the process. Is it reusable or must it be replaced? Anyone got pictures?

geargrinder
03-04-2012, 06:49 PM
Pipe wrench won't tear up the threads. It will be ugly, but still functional.

Use the pipe wrench and replace it with a grooved nut.

snowgetter1
03-04-2012, 06:54 PM
Pipe wrench only marks up the smooth barrel nut. Save your money, pipe wrench it, and replace it with a grooved nut. The grooved nut will be easier to deal with in the long run.

hunter540
03-04-2012, 07:30 PM
I just used my SSS smooth barrel wrench today to take the smooth nut off my Model 16. It came off easily with a couple of whacks with a rubber mallet... and not a scratch on it.

Get the smooth barrel wrench and re-use the smooth nut. You don't have to re-tighten the nut as tight as the Gorilla from Savage, so it'll come off even easier the second time.

CJ in WY
03-05-2012, 01:22 AM
Use a flat punch or drift. Put it in the groove you won't even see the mark where you hit it.

I just took the 6.5-284 off the Edge last night for repairs with this handy dandy set of precision tools, didnt even take it out of the stock or remove the scope ;)
Used a resized case to set the head-space when I was done too :o
This method is not for everyone and I dont recamend it for those who do not have a lot of experience with useing what you have.
Remember YOU are responsible for your own actions so proceede with caution!
http://photos.imageevent.com/cjnmn/guns/websize/diesandbullets%20001.jpg

snowgetter1
03-05-2012, 02:17 AM
Does Midway sell those tools CJ?????????? Look better than my pipe wrench.

CJ in WY
03-05-2012, 04:05 AM
Tools readily available at your nearby Harbor freight or hardwhare store ;D
The chisel is actually a lot smoother than the pic shows and didnt even mare the black krylon I painted the chrome moly in the white barrel with(painted the nut while I was at it)
Missed the part about the smooth nut=It would get dremmeled/chiseled off and replaced with a notched unit. Who am I kidding? I'd dremmel a notch in the smooth nut and reuse the dang thing ::)
All kidding aside a couple of solid hits with the hammer and the barrel is loose without bending the action, heck it dont even bother the bedding. The first time I tryed to use the wrench I broke the trigger off.......I know I know that what the action wrench is for.

Scott Evans
03-05-2012, 11:40 PM
Use a flat punch or drift. Put it in the groove you won't even see the mark where you hit it.

Brass or bronze.

I call that the Norwegian Torque Wrench ;)

stangfish
03-06-2012, 12:17 AM

I just took the 6.5-284 off the Edge last night for repairs with this handy dandy set of precision tools, didnt even take it out of the stock or remove the scope ;)
Used a resized case to set the head-space when I was done too :o
This method is not for everyone and I dont recamend it for those who do not have a lot of experience with useing what you have.
Remember YOU are responsible for your own actions so proceede with caution!
http://photos.imageevent.com/cjnmn/guns/websize/diesandbullets%20001.jpg

Not all of us have get impatient waiting on the stage coach. ;D I am interested in how many have had success with the smooth wrenches. I made one. Didn't work. Drilled a spanner hole in the nut and threaded a hole in the wrench, bent the socked head screw. ended up grinding it off. They might work if you use heat to loosen the thread locker...or maybe soak for a day or to with some Kroil. Otherwise the next time it is a "pipe wrench"!

halfmile
03-06-2012, 07:40 PM
we took one off with a barrel vise and an action wrench like as if it was a Remmy. The barrel nut did not come into play. A little rosin to hold the barrel, and a 1/4-28 bolt for the action.

Easy

HM