PDA

View Full Version : Last bolt question then I'm taking something else apart.

fgw_in_fla
02-29-2012, 06:19 PM
What is the "key" inside of an older bolt body for. Because of it, I had to play mix 'n' match with bolt parts. I have the matching bolt head but, I need to use a different head for that body.

If I grind it off, will I regret it?

Out of 5 different Savage & Stevens bolt bodies, only one has a key of sort about an inch in from the head end.

Would it be easier to cut a notch in the stem of the bolt head instead?

Like I said.... Last bolt questions then, I'm gonna take something else apart (trigger assembly, perhaps) where I'll be back just brimming with more questions.
Thank again, guys.

Frank in Fla.

thirty06
02-29-2012, 06:40 PM
The 'key' was there so you could'nt install the bolt head backwards. Grind it off and don't look back.

jonbearman
02-29-2012, 07:47 PM
I have ground off 3 of them and only put one in the wrong way and it only takes a very short time to reassemble it right.

Blue Avenger
02-29-2012, 07:54 PM
grind the bolt or the head and assemble.

snowgetter1
02-29-2012, 07:55 PM
I have not ground the key off but did grind a spot out on the bolt head to fit the key. Of course the first spot I ground out was on the wrong side but it works.

Blue Avenger
02-29-2012, 08:25 PM
LMAO Now you know why the factory did it to start with.

fgw_in_fla
03-01-2012, 03:18 AM
We must be a society that's evolved intelectually if the older bolt assembly has provisions so it can not be assembled backwards & the company removed that particular "feature"...

I do appreciate everybody's input. You are all true gentlmen. I'm going to dance at your weddings & maybe even name a kid after y'all ;)

Consider that little mother ground off. :o

Thanks again.

Frankie "the Grinder" in Fla.

Baryngyl
03-02-2012, 08:24 PM
I posted this sometime back on what I did for mine.

I too just held mine by hand and drilled it larger, as for the tab that has been pressed out of the bolt body to engage a groove on the old bolt head, I had a bunch of center punches and used the one that would fit thru and just push the tab back out level, I had to use several small ones one after the other and push it out a tiny bit at a time.
Michael Grace

Michael Grace