PDA

View Full Version : Numrich Heavy Sporter in 270 win

Pages : 1 [2]

GaCop
03-10-2012, 08:26 AM
Assuming that this is a "New factory Savage barrel" are they fired at the manufacture before they are shipped? I am trying to determine if the amount of copper I found in my supposed "new" barrel could possibly be considered acceptable for a savage barrel? As it stands I am questioning if this is a returned barrel that repackaged and shipped to me in the place of a new barrel.

As stated in a previous posting, buying from Gun Parts Corp is a crap shoot. A lot of their parts are surplus and not new. Numrich also buys exess parts inventory from gun companies. A poor performing barrel can easily be sold as Numrich doesn't test barrels and to my knowledge, Savage only test fires barrels when installed on a receiver.

Contact Numrich about the problem and see what they say.

chuckbuster243
12-19-2012, 12:06 PM
I have the 270 Win 24 inch heavy sporter Numrich barrel as well. I bought mine when they were $79.00. Mine was really dirty and the crown was rough but I cleaned the crap out of it and recrowned. Now it will shoot sub moa easily. I bought it for a cheap deer rifle build and it accomplished that. Dont expect things to be perfect when you buy things at a bargain. Just clean it very thorough and shoot it... I have seen some rough looking barrels shoot really well over the years. Matt

Opus Dei
12-24-2012, 07:25 AM
I got a 300 RUM barrel from them. It has no Savage hallmark on the outside and since it's small-shank, I suspect it probably was a remnant from the change to large-shank. I've not shot a lot through it (~25 rounds) due to the ammo price, but I have sighted the rifle and am fine with it.

Bossman
12-27-2012, 09:49 PM
I bought one of those stainless 24" 270 heavy sporter barrels from Numerich last year. It had a small burr in the chamber, right in the middle of the shoulder on one side- it cleaned right up with some metal polish spun on a once- fired empty. I bead blasted the exterior and it shoots MOA @ 100 with Wal- Mart Federal 130's. Not thrilling but good enough for a deer gun.

tobnpr
12-28-2012, 10:03 PM
I know this is an old thread resurrected...but...
The OP's link clearly stated that it is (or was advertised, as) as NEW factory barrel...

Plenty of new, savage take-offs hit the market from guys that want to upgrade- and sub-$100 prices for them are the norm.

Numrich might get them as overstocks from Savage, or smiths/barrel manufacturers getting rid of new take-offs.