PDA

View Full Version : Can a Short action be Dual Ported?

Grott
02-28-2012, 01:24 PM
I hope the terminology I'm using is correct. I am asking is the receiver can be opened up on the right side of a LH rifle for loading and unloading? As my eye domanance sets me up to shoot left but I'm primarily right handed?

Who could do that sort of work? Any local gunsmith, an advertiser here?

Yes I know I could shoot a right hand action...but that's a different discussion.

Garett

82boy
02-28-2012, 11:57 PM
I guess anything is possible, but on a repeater action if you cut the left wall out there will not be any support for the action. A "dual Port" is an action that has a opening on both sides,(With metal inbetween the ports.) what you looking to do would not be a "dual port" but a big port. You can still feed a repeater form the left side without ANY modification, trust me I do it all the time.

psharon97
02-29-2012, 01:03 AM
SSS is doing the job for me now. I currently have a RB RP 30-06 and they are turning that action into a LB dual port action. SSS is, in my opinion, a smith who works on the side of caution. He is always recommending building rifles like a 338LM on another action besides savage. He wouldn't do something that is detrimental to the rifle. Give them a call.

Grott
02-29-2012, 09:56 AM
This would be for a large varmint to whitetail caliber. Looking at the 6.5CM and 22-250 as a switch barrel set-up. No Short magnums. There are easier ways to solve my loading/unloading issues but this crossed my mind. I plan on doing more range/paper time if I do the 6.5CM.

Also has anyone set up their switch barrel with indexing marks for setting headspace on the fly? How did it work.

Thanks

Garett

thomae
02-29-2012, 10:03 AM
Admittedly, slightly off topic:
Observation: Although there are likely numerous reasons not to do so, the Savage Axis action appears as if it were designed to be ported on either side or dual ported.
Ok, back to our regularly scheduled topic.

jpdown
02-29-2012, 11:02 AM
You would think a Savage dual ported target action would be cheaper, faster, safer and easier to resale.

Grott
02-29-2012, 02:17 PM
One problem JPdown .. . . I'm a lefty.

sharpshooter
02-29-2012, 07:15 PM
Paul, I don't know where you got the idea that I could or would "dual port" a standard action. Like Pat said, a dual port is actually 2 ports with a strip in the center. Opening the already big port on the other side will only make it weaker. You don't really need a dual port to be able to load it from the opposite side. Pat loads his from the opposite all the time.

psharon97
03-01-2012, 01:11 AM
Oh ok thanks for the info. I originally thought that's what you were doing to the rifle. Sorry for the misunderstanding. :)