PDA

View Full Version : Check out my annealing job..opinions wanted

Pages : 1 [2]

bsekf
02-24-2010, 01:03 PM
I use a propane torch with a drill rod in the primer pocket, spin them by hand in a darkened room. When they glow, drop them in a bucket of water. Shake the water out of them and put on a cookie tray in a 200 oven for an hour or so, turn the oven off and the cases are dry in the morning. I use the same drying method when I clean in the ultrasonic.

okie2
03-03-2010, 05:03 PM
If you have an air compresser you can take an air nossel that will fit down it the case and blow then stand them neck down in your loading tray they will be dry by the time you are ready to reload

Pete K.
03-09-2010, 06:10 AM
Check out this machine...

http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com/2010/01/25/shot-show-report-new-bench-source-case-neck-annealer/

Pete

snoog37
03-09-2010, 06:23 AM
I submitted benchsource an email two days ago (on their website form) asking how to purchase the above unit. They have yet to reply. Guess I'll have to try calling them.

Was going to purchase the Ken Light machine, but he doesn't take plastic (it is 2010 right?), so hopefully benchsource want the funds.

A little ironic about how so many manufacturers want to gripe about "the economy"--then make it difficult to do business with them. But, that's probably a whole 'nother thread.

I'll post a review of the benchsource unit if I can get them to sell me a unit.

Nor Cal Mikie
03-09-2010, 10:28 AM
Just picked up some Mapp gas and a new torch head. Found a deep 11mm socket and stuffed some steel wool in the base to keep my .221 Fireball cases sticking out enough. Took about 15 minutes to do about 75 cases. Worked real slick.
Loaded up a test batch of 10 cases and I could "definitly" tell the difference in neck tension. Did a few .223 cases first to get the feel for what I was doing.
I needed a new cordless drill and torch head anyway so it only cost me about $15.00 for the gas. Only used about 1/4 of the canister.
My main concern was changing the neck tension and the annealing job made a big difference. A good range trip will show for sure. ;)

Blue Avenger
03-09-2010, 12:05 PM
bench-source looks like a nice unit, to bad for me I'm cheap! may have to quite doing that some day. any one make an economic automated system?

EFBell
03-09-2010, 02:21 PM
Been kicking around a few ideas on the subject. Just waiting for the right parts to appear from an old machine we may take apart or demo some day. I got my eye out for it.

laportecharlie
03-09-2010, 03:05 PM
When I was researching annealing machines I came across a few "build it yourself" concepts. Try Googling annealing machines and see what pops up.
Charlie

gotcha
03-25-2010, 02:50 AM
dolomite, great post. Photos most helpful. I've been annealing for a number of years now. Your coloration looks good! though a bit uneven in length. I agree w/elkbane. For me propane is more controlable. I use a bernz-o-matic and regulate heat by adjusting the length of the inner blue cone to 1 and a half inches.(give or take depending on cartridge length/size) I agree with hunter 2 on water quenching but only do so on tiny cases like .223 rem. For me, if I'm annealing a larger/longer case (6mm AI, .243 win.) I don't quench. I pluck the case from the holder with a welding gloved left hand and set it in a home-made wooden loading block mouth up. This way the heat is rising upward and away from the base. I've never had a problem with softening case heads using this method as long as I keep the torch dwell time in the 5 to 7 second range by adjusting the cone length. I prefer to anneal in bright light because I'm red/green color blind and can detect the subtle color change of the brass going blue.(can't see the dull red 'til it's too late!) A great "holder" for .223 is a 3/8" drive Allen wrench. Chuck the Allen portion into your drill and drop the case into the square 3/8" drive end, a real nice fit with minimum wobble. I'm not in favor of heat sinks and have never seen one on an automated annealing machine though I may stand corrected on this. Again GREAT post!

lucy123
03-25-2010, 10:45 PM
Looks mighty fine to me.