PDA

View Full Version : Which model is a LH .308?

David Sinko
02-28-2012, 10:35 AM
I'm ready to go to the range to evaluate a Savage bolt action .308 that a friend is selling. He has graciously allowed me to try it out. It's a semi-custom Scout rifle. It has a left hand action and the model designation is obscured by the AO Scout mount that is affixed to the barrel. He said the barrel length was originally 22" and it has been cut back to 20". It has the original Savage black synthetic stock that is obviously of low quality and full of all kinds of mold lines. It also has a blind magazine. I think the rifle is 10 years old or so. Would this be a Model 112 or a 116? The finish was originally blue but the barrel and action have been refinished with what he believes is parkerizing, though there is a greenish tinge. Can anybody help me out with what model this is? I'll try to post pics later.

Dave Sinko

pdog06
02-28-2012, 11:04 AM
It wont be a 112 or a 116(or a 12 or 16). the 12/112 series are the varmint and target series and the 16/116 series are the weather warrior(stainless) series.

My guess would be a model 11. Not sure what model the scouts were considered as.

David Sinko
02-28-2012, 11:14 AM
It was converted to Scout configuration by a local gunsmith. The gunsmithing work is excellent. My concern is that this is clearly a budget rifle as manufactured by Savage. From what I see, the AO Scout mount has very good reviews but I'm not sure how it's attached. If I took it off I guess I could see the model number on the barrel, but I'd rather not take it off.

I just remembered that the trap shooters are on the range this morning and my test session will have to wait until this afternoon.

Dave Sinko

David Sinko
02-29-2012, 02:39 PM
Not good. Severe vertical stringing with everything at 100 yards. Ejection is feeble too. If I'm gonna keep this, it will require some work and upgrades, starting with a good stock. Also, ejection is weak and that gold colored extractor makes me nervous too. Not worth the effort. My 99E (Economy!) is a luxury item in comparison.

Dave Sinko