PDA

View Full Version : need a little help and info fellas

champ198
02-28-2012, 10:14 AM
i have a savage model 12 heavy contour barrel in 22-250
I'm kind of getting the hankering for shooting some long range stuff. now I'm new at this and am talkin rages out to 700 or so at first but I would like to stretch this thing out to a grand. I know that with my short action a 308 caliber is probably going to be my best bet on caliber to go with. what I was wondering is when looking for parts like bolt knob,stock and barrel to go with. I'm still really new to the savage guns but so far I'm really liking mine a lot. so I thought I would as you all if you were going to builds rifle for shooting a grand off of this rifle platform what parts would you put in brands calibers and so on. also know I'm gonna need a stock as well but I think that will be easy to find, some of the other parts is what I'm a little fuzzy on right now as to what model savages have the same parts as my model 12 does
any help you all can give a newb will help a ton

champ198
02-28-2012, 10:16 AM
also forgot to put I would like a heavy ontour barrel in at least 24" length

keeki
02-28-2012, 10:53 AM
personally I would think that at 1000yds a 308 would be about the worst choice. Lots of bullets in 7mm, 6.5 and 6mm that do great at 1000yds out of a short action.

bajabill
02-28-2012, 11:07 AM
I am not being a smartass, to dont take it that way. All you NEED is a target 1000 yards away. Your 22-250 will reach it. Now, it may not be the ideal chambering so that may be the place you are currently in. I think the potential issue with long range is the wind, without it all you need is a drop chart and shoot high :).

Even though the US military uses the 308 for everything, I dont think that makes it the ideal choice. You want to use as heavy for caliber bullets as practical to get the higher ballistic coefficient as you can. Then, you want to run that higher weight bullet as fast as you can so that means more powder for a given bore diameter. The .308" diameter bullet works fine, its just that the much larger case capacity chamberings (magnum, RUM, etc) are required to provide the same in flight ballistics as a smaller diameter choice, which results in much larger recoil. If you are just shooting targets, the target doesnt care, but if you are shooting animals, you need to worry about energy and velocity at impact - which is when the larger caliber choice with bigger case capacity and more recoil will be necessary.

These are the fundamentals as I understand them, I will let others offer specific suggestions on chambering. To accomplish this, you only NEED a new barrel, then address other items that may be actually deficient and limiting your desired accuracy. Your bolt and stock may be adequate (with proper bedding), and other things to consider is the recoil lug, trigger.

champ198
02-28-2012, 11:38 AM
ok that makes sense
so on a short action which. aliber would you guys make this thing into
I do understand that the heavier bullets do carry better at longer distances
I'm still in the researching process of all of this and was just looking on McGowen's website and did see a 6mm BR Norma barrels in 1-8 twist 28" varmint .700 contour or a 1-10 twist 26" varmint contour
or a 6x47 Lapua 1-8 twist magnum contour
like I said I'm really new with the long range stuff but really have been wanting to do it for a long time and am willing to learn but just need a little assistance on some of it so wanted to ask you all

I know that the 22-250 that it's. bannered in now would reach out to a grand but with the light weight of the bullet I'll be fighting the wind a lot that was one reason for the caliber change wanted

sniper15545
02-28-2012, 12:06 PM
I have a 6mm br Norma and I really like it. But if you plan on shooting to a 1000 yrds the 6.5x47 would probably be a better choice since you would be starting from scratch any way. A 243 Ai would aslo be a great choice in a short action. But do not over the the 260 rem. or the 260 AI these are very good choices. I would personally go with the 260 AI if starting from scratch.

82boy
02-28-2012, 12:47 PM
As others have said, I agree and would say that a 308 would not be in my list of calibers for choice, as there are far better calibers availble. Yes your 22/250 will go out to 1000 yards, but with a 1 in 12 twist shooting 50-60ish gr bullets your not going to have the best time doing it. The biggest question for you is, do you load your own ammo?

With that all said, If you dont load your own ammo, then you need to look at factory loaded calibers, such as 6BR, 243 win, and 260. If your wanting to get the most out of the rifle then you need to load your ammo, and fit it to the gun. A 1 in 8 twist 22/250 shooting 80-90gr bullets is a great thing. Nothing wrong with a 6BR it holds many records at 600 and 1000 yards. In my opionion a 1 in 10 twist 6mm is absolutly worthless, if your going to do it 1 in 8 is the way to go. As far as the 6x47Lapua is concerned it is an awesome round, no doubt about it, but the cost of brass is extreamly high, and you will have to load this as it is a wildcat, and there is not loaded ammo availble, and you will have to neck brass down from 6.5x47L. I also say get the heavist caontour availble, the added weight will be something you will appericate.

The last question is how deep is your pocket book? Some things can get expensive, as noteded the 6.5x47 lapua brass is highly expensive. 7mm bullets are another thing to consider, as desirable 1000 bullets wil run at $40+ bucks a box of 100. Dies can be expensive as well, check it out before you deside.

Honestly it is hard to beat a 6BR, dies are rediabily availble, and at low cost. 6MM's have the best bullet selection availble of any caliber around, they have a great ballance of BC, and weight. Bullets are at a deceant cost, and are cheaper than 30 cals. brass is at a deceant cost, still a bit higher, but you get good brass. The only problem with the 6BR is it doese lack a bit of horsepower, and that is why if possible I would recamend a 6x47l or a 6 dasher. (The 6 Dasher is for the experinced loader, as brass can be a pain to make.)

jhelmuth
02-28-2012, 01:48 PM
I have a 6mm br Norma and I really like it. But if you plan on shooting to a 1000 yrds the 6.5x47 would probably be a better choice since you would be starting from scratch any way. A 243 Ai would aslo be a great choice in a short action. But do not over the the 260 rem. or the 260 AI these are very good choices. I would personally go with the 260 AI if starting from scratch.

I have to agree with Doug here. I don't have a 6BR, but the 6.5x47L is a great bench round. Not the cheapest to shoot though....

champ198
02-28-2012, 02:10 PM
thanks a lot for the info I do load my own ammo and have been for quite a few years I wouldn't say I'm a pro but I'm not a novice by any means
with lreading the replays the 6mm BR looks like it might be my best bet for a caliber and I did check out some of the avalibility of reloading components and so on such as dies and brass and bullets and it looks like they are easily avalible.
so with that said going with a 6mm BR what per fit barrel would you all go with? brand wise

Wards75
02-28-2012, 03:03 PM
I just bought a Stevens 200 for a build and was kicking the 6BR idea around but how much advantage over a 243 is it? Would it be that noticeable? Sorry if I've hi-jacked your thread...

champ198
02-28-2012, 03:54 PM
not a problem at all I was also tossing around the idea of buying a Stevens to do this with as well
can't make up my mind if I want to change mine or start a whole new gun based off the Stevens

jglover_81
02-28-2012, 05:51 PM
I have a Stevens 200 that I used to build my 6BR and absolutely love it! So far I havent shot it over 100 yds but hopefully I will in the future. I called Jim @ Northlander (site sponsor) and bought one of the CBI barrels and am convinced this thing can shoot way better than I can!!

tyler.woodard04
02-28-2012, 06:11 PM
the br is easier on barrels then the 243.

champ198
02-28-2012, 07:15 PM
what brand of Barrels do you guys suggest

and also i would like to replace the bolt knob im assuming that any will work and they arent model specific?
i know the stocks there is a diffrence in the action spaceing on as well as center feed or stagger feed and i know mine is a stagger feed.
anyone got any opinions on a good stock brand they could suggest that wont break the bank

jglover_81
02-28-2012, 08:24 PM
Boyds makes good stocks

psharon97
02-29-2012, 01:20 AM
what brand of Barrels do you guys suggest

and also i would like to replace the bolt knob im assuming that any will work and they arent model specific?
i know the stocks there is a diffrence in the action spaceing on as well as center feed or stagger feed and i know mine is a stagger feed.
anyone got any opinions on a good stock brand they could suggest that wont break the bank

As far as barrels go, it really depends on how much want to spend. I'm having a 7mm remington magnum being build by SSS in brux. Everything I've read about them is that they are top notch and great quality. However, they are expensive as compared to say Douglas, Criterion, Shilen, ect...

GaCop
02-29-2012, 08:04 AM
the br is easier on barrels then the 243.

+1!

ellobo
02-29-2012, 03:11 PM
Ditto on Boyds stocks. Under $100 and they will checker the stock for an extra $50. 3 models available for Savage but no tactical styles, just great hunting style stocks. The make them for stagger feed and center feed

El Lobo