PDA

View Full Version : Stock for coyote hunting...opinions?

Flatlander.54
11-28-2009, 10:31 PM
Ok guys how bout some opinions. I got a used Savage 10FP .223 about a month ago. It has the Choate Ultra varmint stock on it and I have found out that this stock is less than ideal for coyote hunting, too heavy and clunky. What would you guys recommend as a replacement stock better suited for coyote hunting? Was thinking of maybe trying to find a factory stock to use. Any opinions are appreciated, thanks.

pa hog
11-28-2009, 10:44 PM
If its a Staggered feed (4.25") a Bell and Carlson Duramax will be a great stock for ya and pretty cheap. They work well on Shooting sticks, and are fair on a Bi-pod, some lighter than a Medalist.

trappst
11-28-2009, 10:49 PM
I like the factory stocks for hunting yotes.....I've stiffened the forend on a few but honestly it's not needed. Bed 'em, paint 'em and beat 'em up as much as you want. For about $35-$40, it's hard to beat.

More options would include the stockade sporter and SSS sporter stocks.

Guess I should mention that I don't like hunting with varmint contour barrels....a #3 or #4 contour is about perfect.

Slowpoke Slim
11-30-2009, 04:44 PM
I'm sticking with the factory stock on my Stevens. Ugly as hell, but no worries in the thorn bushes, accurate too.