PDA

View Full Version : Zebra wood stock. Ready for the range. Final post.

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

leatherlunger
05-02-2012, 01:10 AM
I wish I was that handy, Incredible stock man.

BobT
05-02-2012, 06:46 AM
Really nice! I have always had a soft spot for Zebra wood.

Bob

thomae
05-02-2012, 07:40 AM
Very nice work. You have the the patience, craftsmanship, (and the right tools and jigs, to be sure :D ) that have allowed you some impressive results. Congratulations.

Now you should install a suitable action and barrel, go on an African safari with that rifle and bag a trophy zebra with it. Mount the zebra with the rifle on your wall, and the circle will be complete.

If you were get your zebra amongst a stand of trees, there would be great headline potential: "Zebra wood Savage takes savage zebra in woods." or something similar. ;D

sparky123321
05-02-2012, 04:26 PM
I made the recoil pad and cut and installed the action bolts today. That's it. It's all ready for the range. This was shooting 1/4 MOA and I expect it will do the same in this new stock.

Don't worry I have a better front rest to use at the range. Thanks again everyone. I really enjoyed all thecomments, suggestions and encouragement.

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h457/zargon123/IMG_1680.jpg

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h457/zargon123/IMG_1681.jpg

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h457/zargon123/IMG_1682.jpg

Carvera
05-05-2012, 09:29 PM
Incredible job!

Great thread, and posts on your part.

deerhunter85
05-05-2012, 09:32 PM
Wow really nice

pdog06
05-05-2012, 10:37 PM
Incredible job!

+1

You did an outstanding job and it has been really neat to see it from start to finish.

All of your posts in this thread should be put into an article by the mods!

03mossy
05-05-2012, 11:55 PM
Incredible job!

+1

You did an outstanding job and it has been really neat to see it from start to finish.

All of your posts in this thread should be put into an article by the mods!

Agreed! Thanks for for letting us follow along. That stocks a work or art!

Leonardo63
05-22-2012, 09:14 PM
That is mighty purty! I've worked with zebra wood veneers and done a few projects with it. It's a really cool wood. Very nice craftsmanship! I'd almost wager that you might have the corner on the market if you offered that up.

savy22br
05-22-2012, 09:36 PM
Yea id buy one for sure!!! You did an awesome job!!!

sparky123321
05-23-2012, 08:06 PM
Thanks savy22br. I appreciate your comments. Actually got to the range with it today for the first time with this stock. There were only 2 other guys there, but they were immediately drawn to the gun and wanted to know all about it. My brother and I both shot one hole 5 shot groups at 100 yards with it.

savy22br
05-24-2012, 03:57 PM
Awesome how much to build me one for my model 12 full bull? Looks like a lot of work but im sure it was all worth it!!! If you decide to sell one let me know im 1st in line!!!

drybean
05-24-2012, 04:16 PM
2nd that

drybean

SFLEFTY
05-24-2012, 06:56 PM
I probably can't afford to get in line, but that's one of the prettiest rifles I have ever seen, and I'm old enough to have seen a few. :)

sparky123321
05-25-2012, 05:21 PM
Thanks again everyone. I'm just so pleased with the way it came out and the way it shoots. It's like a magnet to anyone that sees it. Even my Wife, "The Old Bird", loves it. It spent a lot of time on her kitchen table and counter and she never complained about it. I have another one that's almost done and just needs to be finished up that I'll probably use for a MBR .223 I have in a factory stock.

The zebra wood and mill work alone cost right around $200. It's VERY tough wood so there's another $20-$40 in router bits and forstner bits. Sandpaper, glue, steel expoxy and polycrylic probably another $30-$40. I figure $300-$400 for labor(including inlet, bedding and finishing) and it all adds up quickly.

When I get some time I need to finish up the other zebra wood stock and a few other laminated stocks I have started. I've already got my eye on some really really cool exotic woods I saw at the specialty shop last time I was there. Of course I always seem to like the most expensive woods. They were dying to see the zebra wood stock when I finished it, so I have to head out there soon.

Bradley Walker
06-20-2012, 01:30 PM
Amazing thread. AMAZING!!!

I just wanted to throw in something. I helped pioneer the use of Polycrylic in model airplane finishes.

It is not solvent proof at all... Rubbing alcohol will melt it... Just FYI.

sparky123321
06-20-2012, 05:05 PM
Good to know. Thanks for passing that along.

bucksnort2
07-19-2012, 10:55 PM
Gents,
Nice looking stock. That brings me to my questions. Where can you get a set of drawing/profiles for a BR stock? Where does one get that thick multi-ply plywood? What do you call it?
Thanks.

Admin
07-19-2012, 11:55 PM
Why is it that every Tom, Dick and Harry around here automatically assumes that everytime someone posts up photo's of one of their personal projects that it automatically means that person wants to make a lot more of them to sell to people on this site and/or others? My apologies to the original poster, but as a Mod I get really sick and tired of this stuff as it always makes us [mods] have to be the bad guys by forcing us to close down the thread or delete selected posts because they ultimately violate our non-solicitation policy.

Seriously, is it really that hard to admire and respect someone's skill and talent without soliciting them to make you one of whatever it is they made?

sparky123321
07-20-2012, 06:07 AM
This thread was just meant to be informative. I tried to include all the steps I used to help guide the average person through the process if they wish to give it a go on their own.

If I had another life to live I might become a gunsmith and stock maker, but this time around I'm just a shooting enthusiast with some basic wood working skills and gun knowledge.

I love the stock I made and I wouldn't sell the one on my HBR no matter the price. It means much more to me than it would be worth to anyone else. If I ever do decide to make stocks professionally I would need a whole bunch of new and expensive equipment, including a CAD machine for the inlets. At that point I would be happy to be a paid advertiser or sponsor. It's not out of the realm of possibilities, but as you can see I haven't even had a chance to finish up the others I already have in process.

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h457/zargon123/IMG_1680.jpg