PDA

View Full Version : New 6.5x284 build done! Range report!

skoger
02-27-2012, 07:31 AM
Ihave a friend, who live here in KY part time, in Fl. part time, Dr. He had bought a Savage 112fp, with the folding tactical Choat stock, 20" heavy .308. This was an outstanding shooter, but after a year or so, and shooting my 6.5 swede and 6.5x.284, at long distance, he had to have one. I disasembled, trued his action, put on a SSS lug, and ordered a 26" vamrint SS Shilen from JIm at Northland. I put on and headspaced, then shot and cleaned every shot for 20rds. I reworked the accutrigger, and slightly under #2, what he wanted. I skim bedded the action. Had a picatinny rail already on it, put burris Zee rings with inserts on it, took 3 tries to find what we needed, Has a burris sig. 6x24x44, Mildot. After we found the right inserts combo, took 4 shots to zero. I fired a 5 shot group, taking my time, just get settled in and shoot. Group was .390! Second group was .375. We stopped there, this was a load I had for my other two 6.5x,284 Savage builds, Moly coated Sierra 142gr's and H=4831, and thru my 30" barrel, about 3000fps, did not chrono his. I am shooting the std. 4831, not the SC, seems I get better accuracy, and used std. Winchester WLR primers, I had some hangfires with CCI benchrest. I feel this is typical with Shilen barrels, never had a bad one, and require little break in. I believe this is the easiest build/loading job I have ever done. I love those 6.5 calibers, I have been thinking about a 6.5 creedmore, any thoughts on that?

Dennis
02-27-2012, 10:44 AM
I love those 6.5 calibers, I have been thinking about a 6.5 creedmore, any thoughts on that?

6.5 are great calipers! I personally love my 6.5x47L! Some love the Grendal! I have shot the Grendal and was very impessed with it! I am sure you will like any 6.5 you choose. The 6.5mm Creedmoor should work well in an AR style rifle. I understand it's very close to a 260!

I am sure the Creedmoor would shoot great, but if you have a combination that works, well I usually stick with it! Just a thought!

One thing you mentioned, WLR primers, a two time state pistol champ told me to try the WLR's. That's the only primer he and a few of his piers use. I resisted for almost a year, he won several bricks of them, some being LR rifle primers which he hardly uses. He gave me a brick of them to try!

I have used about 300 of them to date. I was so impressed, they work very well in my guns, I am mainly using the WLR's exclusively now! I had to change my loads a few grains, but it was worth the effort! Now I am trying to get the balance of the WLR primers from him! I did get a brick for my small rifles (6mm's), and I am anxious to try them in my 6br!

Good Luck,

carpet1
02-27-2012, 11:00 AM
I have a 6.5 creedmore I got from Jim, in a 28" varmint weight. I couldn't be happier! Will keep 5 shots under 1/2" if I do my part, usually less. I have shot it out to 500 yds, and the accuracy is scary.