PDA

View Full Version : Strange problem with my new 10-FCP-K

sliderspal
02-26-2012, 07:29 PM
Took my new 10-FCP-K .308 out today for the first time to break it in.
Well the first round I tried to fire through my rifle I could pull the trigger back.
After looking at the situation I found that even though there was a round in the chamber the cocking indicator on the bolt was not out indicating the rifle not being cocked ant the trigger was in the rearward position.
So I re-chambered another round and what I found was if I after moving the bolt forward and closing the bolt the cocking indicator and the trigger would uncock.
So I tried closing the bolt slower and more gentle and then the trigger would cock and the cocking indicator would protrude showing the rifle being ready to fire.
At this point I could fire the rifle normally.
So If I didn't move the bolt handle down slowly when locking the bolt closed the rifle would come uncocked.
Anybody have any idea what may be going on here?

gotcha
02-26-2012, 07:54 PM
I'd start w/ two things. 1. chk that trigger mechanism is not in a bind or touching anywhere inside the action. 2. google " accutrigger adjustment". Several good videos there. Sounds like your sear engagement is set a bit too light. Use the tool supplied w/ the rifle & follow video instructions................. Still have problems? chk back here ;)

sliderspal
02-26-2012, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the reply.
I did what you suggested and this is what I found.
This seems like what is happening to mine rifle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o_5GKa6Ksc&feature=related

But if as the guy in the video suggests that the trigger is set too light and this causes that problem. Wouldn't this also indicate that there is something else going on here, as I would think you should be able to set the trigger for a light pull without this happening?

gotcha
02-26-2012, 09:55 PM
Nice video from a guy that can't even name the various trigger components. The answer to your question is in the comments section of this video. It has to do with adjusting the safety slide bar. If you don't feel comfortable w/ these adjustments ( melting the plastic hiding the safety bar adjustment would possibley nullify your warranty) Check w/ factory for their suggestions. Sometimes the QC guy will miss a needed adjustment. It happens, Savage will back you up ;)

sliderspal
02-27-2012, 01:48 AM
Well I watched the videos and read the manual.
I took the Accustock off and tried adjusting the Accutrigger as per the instructions.
The problem is better but I still get the sear releasing on occasion when closing the bolt firmly.
If I tighten the Accutrigger any more I start getting too firm of a trigger pull.
Anyway I reinstalled the Accustock using the proper sequence and torque values (40 to 45 in lbs) for the machine bolts.
Also I noticed when I took the Accustock off the first time the bolts didn't seem very tight at all.
I guess this may be why I was having a difficult time getting the rifle to group at 100 yards.
So what do you guys think, is this trigger issue a common one and I should live with it?
Or should the rifle go back to Savage?
I am a bit concerned about the warranty as I purchased the rifle a year and a half ago, but this is the first time I have shot it as I was saving up for the scope I wanted.
Thanks for your help.

JamesD
02-27-2012, 04:51 AM
I have the same rifle as you and mine did it because the tension was too low. Actually a two stage spring for the accutrigger would fix this or a very light spring inside the trigger spring. If close the bolt as gentle as you can, it will not trip the sear. Also on mine if you push on the side of the trigger is activates as well. That can be fixed as well. I really would not call it a true design flaw because you taking all of the preload out of the spring so technically nothing is holding the trigger forward with pressure to keep the sear from staying put. On my Lyman pull gauge, I averaged about 10 ounces on the trigger and I could go lower but I do not want to have an accidental activation.

James

sliderspal
02-28-2012, 06:23 PM
Well I spoke to Savage customer service today and the gentleman at Savage asked me to send in the rifle to check the trigger and also the lack of accuracy. I must say the folks at Savage really do seem to care about their customers an their rifles as the C/S so far has been top notch!
Makes one feel good knowing that the company (Savage) really cares

sliderspal
05-06-2012, 10:50 AM
A little follow up.
I send my 10 FCP-K to savage and after inspection they confirmed the the rifle was out of specs.
I had to wait until they had a new production run of 10 FCP-K's and they pulled a new rifle from production inspected it, shot in at their 100 yard test range and confirmed sub moa performance.
Send me the rifle and I have been out once with it and even though it was blowing 25 to 30 mph I still was able to get some sub moa groups.
All I can say is Savage customer service was excellent and I am now happy with my 10-FCP-K.

shamrock
05-08-2012, 10:54 PM
Wow, thats great to hear. Good for you sliderspal. Nice to know that Savage was willing to step up even though you were out of warranty. I have the same rifle, and same situation as far as not getting to shoot it for over a year after buying it. I broke my wrist in three places, and it took surgery, couple of plates, and some screws to rebuild it. A long road back, but looking forward to giving her a try. Good luck with your new rifle.