PDA

View Full Version : Cleaned & lubed my bolt today.

fgw_in_fla
02-25-2012, 10:15 PM
Geez... That heading almost sounds personal :o

Anyway, today I officially lost my cherry & I'm an official Savage bolt service tech.
I stripped down 3 old bolts from 110 models (w/ .473" head) to make up one good bolt. I had some defective Winchester primers burn thru the rolled edge & burn / pit the bolt face on my .270. By the way, Winchester had me Fed Ex the old brass with burned primers, along with photos of the damaged bolt face & they're sending a few certificates to replace the primers & bolt head. Rather nice of them, I think...

Breaking down a bolt for the first time is quite interesting. It appears I have one bolt with a smaller (thinner diam.) firing pin than the other two which made it very interesting putting things back together. Boy, is it hard to get that fat firing pin in that small hole bolt head.... ::)

Advice to any virgin bolt rebuilders.... When breaking down more than one bolt at a time, make sure you lay out the parts & keep the parts together for each bolt. You never know what you're going to find inside.

Lastly, thanks to all who posted previous info & photos on the fine art of bolt repair. It was most helpful.

stangfish
02-25-2012, 11:19 PM
did you get that protrusion deep enough ? ;D

thomae
02-25-2012, 11:26 PM
::) Hey Mods, shouldn't this be moved to the "adult humor" ;) section? ;D

fgw_in_fla
02-25-2012, 11:50 PM
Joke if you must... The important thing to always remember is to keep your bolt well lubricated & a regular service will keep it in good working condition. ;D ;D ;D

GaCop
02-26-2012, 07:54 AM
Joke if you must... The important thing to always remember is to keep your bolt well lubricated & a regular service will keep it in good working condition. ;D ;D ;D

Doesn't hurt to polish it occassionally either........... ;D

bluealtered
02-26-2012, 08:48 AM
Thanks guys, it's always great to start the day with a smile!

fgw_in_fla
02-26-2012, 09:41 AM
Somehow I had a feeling this thread would go in this direction...

By the way, Where's the best place to buy a new bolt head? I need a .473" head to make a spare bolt. I'd prefer not to have to take out a mortgage on one so, "best place" = Cheapest place...

I usually use Midway & it appears they replenished their stock of Savage parts... except for .270 / 30.06 bolt heads.

Who else carries Savage goodies? ???

jhelmuth
02-26-2012, 10:03 AM
Just keep an eye open around here and post a WTB for it. I doubt it'd take too long for you to dig up a bolt head that suits your needs....

lal357
02-26-2012, 10:17 AM
there is a post on here where they tell you to use a #25 drill bit to drill out the bolthead for the larger firing pin i was about to do it to mine then midway sends me 2 small firing pin assemblies i ordered back in oct. last year. i see that they still have the firing pin assemblies available. if you get the small firing pin also get the smaller head retaining pin holder .100 to keep the pin straight.

MikeCTX
02-26-2012, 10:21 AM
No one has mentioned this yet and you probably know this already, but when you change the bolt head you will need to headspace your barrel.

That is the reason your bolt head has a number on it that matches the barrel.

fgw_in_fla
02-26-2012, 12:47 PM
Hey Mike- Whaddya think we're a bunch of rookies here?

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to check the headspace on my '06.... ::)

Just yanking your chain. I checked the HS right after I finished playing with my bolt. :o

fgw_in_fla
02-26-2012, 12:51 PM
I forgot to ask the general consensus...

What do you think is better? The thinner firing pin or the fat pin? Considering the weight & mass of the heavy firing pin, I kinda think bigger is better in this case?

What say ye 'o knowledgeable shooters of the switch barrel thunder stick?

stangfish
02-26-2012, 02:33 PM
The misses concurs. Bigger is better so use the large pin.

thirty06
02-26-2012, 03:06 PM
Use the small firing pin. The reason Savage changed is the lg. retaining pin was breaking.

fgw_in_fla
02-26-2012, 03:11 PM
Thirty06 - You say the large pin breaks easier? I would think it would be the other way around...

thirty06
02-26-2012, 03:19 PM
No, the firing pin dose'nt break, the bolthead retaining pin with the lg. hole breaks.
They made the firing pin smaller so they could make a smaller hole in the retaining pin.

fgw_in_fla
02-26-2012, 06:01 PM
Ahhhhh Sooooo... Then that would most likely be why the retaining pin in my other rifle broke. It was the large pin type & it snapped right at the hole where the pin passes thru. This happened about 3 - 4 months ago & triggered the whole chain of events starting with buying a new bolt from Savage for $140, then primers burning thru the back & so on....

Anyway, thanks for the heads up on that. Good info to keep handy. This is why I like this site so much. I can't recall a single time I didn't come away from this site without another tid - bit of knowledge about the mighty Switch Barrel Thunder Stick. ;)

gotcha
02-26-2012, 06:25 PM
FGW, When you're finished lubing your bolt ( a time consuming operation) You could check w/ Numrich Arms for the bolt head & stuff. I'll let you interpret "stuff" ;D

fgw_in_fla
02-26-2012, 09:17 PM
Thanks, gotcha...
Funny you should mention Numrich... WHen I went to the range this afternoon, they had Numrich catalog sitting there on the end of the counter. That's a pretty thick mother of a catalog. I'll check them out online.

Now, if you'll excuse me... I'll be away from my desk the rest of the evening as I'd like to finish servicing & lubing my bolt :o :o :o