PDA

View Full Version : Headspace

joeb33050
11-28-2009, 07:59 PM
I have a Savage Striker pistol and a Model 10 rifle, both in 308 Winchester. Both need cartridge cases full-length resized, else some of the cases, when reloaded, are difficult to push into the chamber. I believe that the headspace is too loose on full length sized cartridge cases, that the case sets back on firing, and that the bolt head turns out of square. The locking lugs then bear unevenly. The base then is not square with the case center line, making the case difficult to put into the chamber if it is rotated from the fired position.
I shoot only cast bullets in these guns at lower velocities-always below 1800 fps.
I may be wrong, but I can reload for and fire cartridges dozens of times for other guns after only neck sizing.

I just today put the barrel back on the action, my first time. Be gentle. Headspaced with FL sized fired cartridge cases. FL sized case has a little resistance. FL case with 2 layers of scotch tape has more resistance. FL sized case with 3 layers of scotch tape-bolt will not close.

Who wants to shoot this rifle first?
joe b.

Dirk
11-28-2009, 08:02 PM
Sounds like you did it correctly. I'll fire it.