PDA

View Full Version : Nikon Monarch 6.5-20x44 anyone have any experience with the older ones???

savy22br
02-25-2012, 10:57 AM
Found an older monarch 6.5-20x44 AO fine reticle for $300 should i buy it or not? Pros or cons anyone?

JackinSD
02-25-2012, 11:12 AM
If it is very close to new, maybe. They didn't sell for much more than that new. You are also only a couple hundred dollars away from the cost of a brand new Monarch with much better eye releif.

Always a personal call on these type of decisions.

birdie
02-25-2012, 08:58 PM
I bought one from midway about 6 or 7 years ago for 360.00 I am very happy with it.

Jetpig
02-26-2012, 05:43 PM
I have an older one and a new one (5-20X). If I could trade for another older one, I would get it in a heartbeat. Very awesome scope for the money. The newer doesn't seem to have quite the quality or the clarity. Still a good scope but in my mind, doesn't compare. Buy it!

KRP
02-26-2012, 07:00 PM
I've got three of them. The UCC Monarchs have the best glass of anything in their price range, in my opinion. I like the AO also. The internal adjustment is limited but with proper set-up I've shot 1000+ yards. Tracking is consistant on all mine too.

stevec
02-26-2012, 07:27 PM
I've got three of them. The UCC Monarchs have the best glass of anything in their price range, in my opinion. I like the AO also. The internal adjustment is limited but with proper set-up I've shot 1000+ yards. Tracking is consistant on all mine too.

I have a UCC on my F-class rig. Has been very reliable and repetable out to 1000yds

Steve

savy22br
03-01-2012, 09:32 AM
Ok i bought it, and it is a great buy in my opinion much better than the new monarchs the fine reticle is a little hard to see in very low light but i wont be hunting ground hogs in the dark so who cares. Thanks everyone for all the opinions so glad im a member best $12 iv spent!!!

JackinSD
03-01-2012, 09:47 AM
Ok i bought it, and it is a great buy in my opinion much better than the new monarchs the fine reticle is a little hard to see in very low light but i wont be hunting ground hogs in the dark so who cares. Thanks everyone for all the opinions so glad im a member best $12 iv spent!!!

Glad it worked out for you. I should have paid more attention. You did say the older model ::)

showgun
03-02-2012, 11:16 AM
I might be wrong but I think the new ones are running about 50 Minutes of adjustment... Hopefully the older version you purchased has more!

I just recently did some scope shopping and I couldn't get confirmation that nikon was making a 1/4 minute adjustment monarch, all I could find was 1/8 minute on the new ones. I did however buy a buckmasters 6-18 1/8 adjustment for my dedicated prarie dog gun...

Have fun with the new scope, nikon makes some pretty nice glass for the money.

savy22br
03-02-2012, 03:22 PM
It does have 1/8 minute adjustment. In my opinion glass is a little better than my buddies new 5-20 monarch. I think its only 38 moa adj. thats no problem for me though dont get to many past 400 in ohio if it causes me a problem ill buy a 20 moa base. Thanks again for your comments and opinions!

Predator1
03-03-2012, 12:26 AM
There has been some discussion on other boards about the new Monarchs. Apparently Nikon has cheapened up the new ones. The glass is not near the quality as the older Monarchs. Apparently they are riding on their name and have chosen to take the cheap road on quality. Glad all mine are the older models.