PDA

View Full Version : Centerfeed stocks questions

Gene R
02-25-2012, 07:24 AM
Hello all, been lurking for some time now. I own 4 Savage. 110/ .270, 116/.338, 16/.270wsm AND A 93/17hrm. I've finally figured i needed to draw on your alls wisdom.Why are the LA centerfeed actions so limited in aftermarket stocks? Compared to SA? I just cant seem to find a a syn stk that isn't lami wood or tacti-cool. I just want a hunting stock that's rigid, unlike the factory tupperware for my 116 338wm w/hinged floorplate. And not be $500 plus dollars like Manners. I'm not afraid to spend money but the Manners stks are not the style I'm looking for anyway.

Thanks,
Gene

JW
02-25-2012, 08:56 AM
Check out Boyds and Stockys Stocks, they are site sponsors and should have what you are looking for
Both have advertisments at the top of the page in the sponsors banners
Hope this helps
Jack

Gene R
02-25-2012, 08:50 PM
I've tried both no luck. Just want like a duramaxx or something like. No beavertail or dropped pistol grip or wood. Just seems odd LA's CF have few to none in choices compared to SA centerfeeds.

Thanks though,
Gene

stangfish
02-25-2012, 11:15 PM
It is easy to fit the CF to a SF stock, The rear bed needs to be slotted for the L clip with a dremel. Then shim the front of the magwell with a filler and epoxy. Make it thicker than it needs to be and dremel out the access. Just do it. The Boyds laminate is perfect for this. $115 for stock, the piece of wood and the epoxy. If you dont' have a dremel, get one. I love American made but if your cheap look at harbor frieght.

jhelmuth
02-26-2012, 12:02 AM
Hello all, been lurking for some time now. I own 4 Savage. 110/ .270, 116/.338, 16/.270wsm AND A 93/17hrm. I've finally figured i needed to draw on your alls wisdom.Why are the LA centerfeed actions so limited in aftermarket stocks? Compared to SA? I just cant seem to find a a syn stk that isn't lami wood or tacti-cool. I just want a hunting stock that's rigid, unlike the factory tupperware for my 116 338wm w/hinged floorplate. And not be $500 plus dollars like Manners. I'm not afraid to spend money but the Manners stks are not the style I'm looking for anyway.

Thanks,
Gene

Gene... found this in under 60 seconds on Boyds: http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/CLASSIC-SAVAGE-110-CENTERFEED-p/200-193.htm

CLASSIC SAVAGEŽ 110 BLIND MAG LONG ACTION CENTERFEED FACTORY BARREL CHANNEL WALNUT (FINISHED) $114

ellobo
02-26-2012, 01:23 AM
And Boyds will checker it for an extra 50$. But I dont think he wants wood, just a composite stock.

El Lobo

GaCop
02-26-2012, 07:51 AM
Why not go with the Duramaxx then. Just a little fitting and he's good to go. The price is reasonable too.

devildogandboy
02-26-2012, 02:02 PM
have you considered the Hogue stocks? they have the sporter and heavy barrel versions and very reasonable prices. ;)

stangfish
02-26-2012, 02:28 PM
Heck I forgot that boyds was making the CF.

Gene R
02-28-2012, 06:37 AM
yep no wood. I wouldn't ask if hadn't exhuasted all avenues I knew. Duramax come with hinged floor plate cut out? Sounds doable for making modifications. thanks for the imput on that I would of never thought. Knew you all would have a tips and ideas.

Thanks,
Gene

pdog06
02-28-2012, 08:05 AM
As youve seen above, there are some centerfeed LA stocks available and its pretty easy to convert a staggerfeed LA stock over to a centerfeed. The problem you will have is that none of the above(except the Hogue) will come inletted for the hinged floorplate. The DBM/hinged floorplate inletting will have to be done either by you or a gunsmith.

I am in a similar situation as well. I am getting ready to buy a Duramax and send it out to have it inletted for the detachable magazine. Sharpshooter Supply will do this for about $50, but Im sure that other gunsmiths can do it as well.

To get the correct depth just measure the length of the pillars on your current HFP/DBM stock, then inlet the new one to that same depth. That will insure the magboxsits at the correct depth so it will feed correctly. Depending on the stock you use, the bottom metal may or may not be flush with the bottom of the stock.

pdog06
02-28-2012, 08:21 AM
Here is the info for the Hogue stock. It comes with either a full bedding block(similar to a choate or B&C Medalist) or just Aluminum pillars. BUt it does come fully inletted for the DBM/ Hinged floorplate.

This is just the link to Hogues online store. You can get the part number you need here, but I would check around and maybe you can find it a little cheaper.

http://www.hoguestore.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=518_662

I was actually surpised to learn that the Hogue stock is now also coming in a full range of camo patterns as well as the original black color. That may have just change my plans on buying the duramax. ::)

teebirdhyzer
02-28-2012, 10:54 PM
I have one of the pillar bedded DBM hogues. I stiffened up the forend with carbon arrows, and bedded the action. It's a pretty good option for $99 or so.