PDA

View Full Version : ? about swapping barrels

pdkillr
02-23-2012, 11:09 PM
Tried my first swap with just a go guage and tape on it for a no go. Question is.... I took ejector out of bolt put in go guage, and screwed barrel up to it, do I back off a little before tightening nut or leave it where it is at? When I put tape on guage after tightening nut bolt will only close a little bit , not even half way. Do I have it right?

Blue Avenger
02-23-2012, 11:16 PM
back off just enough to remove drag & smooth bolt lift.

quickkillaught6
02-23-2012, 11:46 PM
From what I have gathered from reading with a taped go gauge you have it
Correct the bolt will act like it will close not even half way like you stated with tape on the go
Gauge I think there was a misread ^ please correct me
If I'm wrong

kslefty
02-24-2012, 09:40 AM
The only other check I would do is to full length resize a piece of brass in your die if you will be reloading. Make sure the bolt will close on the resized brass, if not you will need to back off the barrel a tiny bit.

Blue Avenger
02-24-2012, 05:15 PM
The only other check I would do is to full length resize a piece of brass in your die if you will be reloading. Make sure the bolt will close on the resized brass, if not you will need to back off the barrel a tiny bit.
not a piece of old fired and worked many times brass that is to hard to size properly or brand new that is already undersized.

kslefty
02-25-2012, 09:43 PM
Once fired and full length sized in your own die is the best way to go.