PDA

View Full Version : Help,new guy.

Never Enough Ammo
02-23-2012, 07:53 PM
O.K. I got a model 11 youth rifle in 7mm-08 a few years ago for hunting(when I was a youth),never went on on the hunt and got stuck in a safe with less than 25 rounds through it. I have decided to try getting into competition shooting now,and want to build it to fit me. So I take it out to try the range and after 15 rounds of no problems trouble strikes. Three rounds through the magizene,and it stops ejecting rounds. It will pull the shell out of the chamber,but will not kick it out. I have some experience with minor gunsmithing,and if I did not know better I would say a weak extractor spring,but I doubt this because I have never heard of a spring giving out during shooting. Also After about 15 shots the bolt is almost unworkable. I have to flip the rifle over,grip the buttstock with one hand,and pull the bolt open,I come back 15 minutes later and it works fine,another 15 shoots and the some thing. But the bolt it still silky smooth,just lifting the handle. This rifle is very accurate,and I am planning on putting a Boyds thumb-hole on it,but this is a major issue. I doubt these issues are related,anyone got any ideas?

Also does anyone make a tacticool style stock for this rifle? Many thanks.

ellobo
02-23-2012, 08:07 PM
Try cooling it off after 4-5 shots and between shots. Put a spot of oil in the ejector hole. After sitting in a cabinet for yrs there may be some hardened oil in that hole and the oil may loosen it up. I would oil the internals of the bolt as well, lightly, with an oil that wont gum up or harden in the cold. I have had insects build nests in the bores of several rifles, mostly larger bore muzzlelaoders. Always a good idea to check the bore of any rifle sitting for years. Good idea on the Boyds, I like them. Good luck. Oh, and your rifle may have the slow twist rifling that wont shoot heavier bullets worth a darn. If yours is more than a few yrs old it probably has that slow twist, 1-14 I think.

El Lobo

Never Enough Ammo
02-23-2012, 08:19 PM
Yeah it is pre-accutrigger. I want the thumb-hole for the pistol grip,but I would prefer the tacticool because it has the same basic shape,without the wood OVER your thumb. Is there any easy way to check the rifling twist rate? It looks pretty compact, VERY so compared to the bore of my mosin nagant,which has the REALLY heavy 1:9 twist. But,to my knowledge you should be able to fire indefinitely before it would heat up that bad? Thanks.

bootsmcguire
02-23-2012, 08:23 PM
El-Lobo, you are think of the 1-11" twist being the slow one.

N.E.A. , if you are shooting those 15 shots one right after the other (especially through a sporter barrel) you could be heating up the barrel enough to cause the "stiff bolt" condition you are having.

Oil on the ejector should help as El Lobo stated. If it is really stuck, try some Kroil on it and let it soak and then try the tip of one of those vibrating engraver pencils on the ejector pin. Someone recommended that to me once and worked pretty well.

As far as a tacticool style stock, the Duramaxx is a great stock. Any of the Choate Ultimate Snipe, Ultimate Varmint, or Choate Tactical Stocks would fill the "tacticool" bill and help the shootability of the gun. Personally I am enjoying the laminate stocks I have more than any of the other types. The Hart LRT from Stocky's is a great one to check out.

Just a couple thoughts.

gotcha
02-24-2012, 02:44 AM
Good advise by boots & ellobo ! Just looking down the barrel can be deceiving. To measure twist rate fit your cleaning rod w/ a really tight fitting patch. Insert into bore 2 to 3 in. past chamber. Wrap a piece of tape around the rod shaft a few inches forward of the handle. Mark the tape w/ a dot @ the 12 o'clock position. Slowly push the rod forward 'til the dot has made one complete revolution. If the rod has moved, lets say, 10 inches you have a one in ten (1-10) twist. Take at least three readings to insure the patch hasn't jumped the rifling at some point. The idea is to get the patch tight enough to follow the rifling. And yes, you can re-measure on the reverse stroke if the patch is tight enough........... Welcome to the "brotherhood". Good luck w/ your project ;)

JCalhoun
02-27-2012, 07:01 PM
NEA;

If you are going to turn it into a target rifle the ejector problem may not be all that bad. I removed the ejectors on my target rifles since I don't want them flinging brass onto the ground or cement. That way I can pick them out and put them back into the box.

243LPR
02-27-2012, 07:21 PM
Maybe check the torque on the action screws or possible bedding problem. Could be after things get hot the action is twisting in the stock.

bootsmcguire
02-27-2012, 11:42 PM
NEA;

If you are going to turn it into a target rifle the ejector problem may not be all that bad. I removed the ejectors on my target rifles since I don't want them flinging brass onto the ground or cement. That way I can pick them out and put them back into the box.

+1, works great for keeping brass from bouncing off the concrete at the range.