PDA

View Full Version : prvi brass vs lapua vs norma

Stockrex
02-23-2012, 02:18 AM
I was peeking at grafs for brass for 243/9.3x62 and few other calibers.
I noticed that prvi brass was nearly half the price of the lapua or norma brass.

what are the pros/cons of prvi brass and how is their longevity compared to lapua/norma?

Aircraftmech76
02-23-2012, 03:42 AM
PRVI brass is decent. Lapua has no equal as far as consistency or toughness. You can really push on a Lapua case due to its metallurgy, and it still just keeps grinning. The benefit of that is that with normal pressures, the stuff will last just about forever. Just anneal the necks every few firings to keep things consistent, and you're good to go. Norma, while of good quality, is just too soft in most cases (pun intended ;)).

Kevin

wch
02-23-2012, 11:33 AM
Anyone tried the Nosler brass?

bajabill
02-23-2012, 02:14 PM
I just noticed it at Grafs website also...

I dont have extensive experience with it, but I have been accumulating it for some chamberings I dont intend on shooting much by buying the factory prvi ammo. It appears to be at least on par with winchester and remington to the untrained eye. I dont weight sort any, so I cant use that as a measuring stick. Cabelas has this ammo and if I can pick it up for a buck a bang or less, I go that route to get a small supply to dabble with for a while.

Eric in NC
02-23-2012, 05:10 PM
I rank privi a notch below winchester - not in the same league with lapua

efw
02-23-2012, 08:18 PM
My buddy scored a nice-shootin' .243 Win for his son and bought 100 rounds of Prvi ammo from the same lot w/ the rifle. I've been loading that brass and other than UBBER tight primer pockets, I've found it to be good, although I compare it to Remchester... I'm sure it can't begin to compare to Lapua.

In load testing, I ran it up into some hot loads and the primer pockets on the PPU brass didn't loosen at all. I think it is good stuff, and intend to buy some more for myself in 7x57.

bigedp51
02-23-2012, 11:50 PM
I have reloaded Prvi Partizan .303 British extensively and I found it far superior to any American made .303 cases, it has a larger base diameter and the case walls were .010 thicker in the base web area than any other brand. When you can get over 30 reloadings from .303 cases you have nothing to complain about.

I just bought 100 30-06 Prvi cases but they have only been fired once and I do not have any long term data with them. The stock holders and bean counters of our American made cartridge cases are in control of quality and yet Finland can make superior cartridge cases to ours in the U.S.A. I'm going to keep buying Prvi Partizan cartridge cases at half the price and make the ex-communists in Serbia rich. ::)

mstarling
02-24-2012, 12:23 AM
I've used Norma and PRVI (Graf) brass in two 9,3x62s. Loaded w 286 gr Noslers @ 2425 fps from 24" barrels. Cannot tell the difference in accuracy between the Norma and the PRVI brass. Getting good reloading life with the PRVI.

Took ammo loaded on Norma brass to Africa the first time and PRVI the second ... and I'm not one to cheap out ammo fot that expensive a trip. Could not have asked for better performance on either trip.

GaCop
02-24-2012, 07:48 AM
Anyone tried the Nosler brass?

I've used Nosler brass in a few calibers. Less brass prep than RP or Winchester. I'd rate it close to Norma.

Stockrex
02-24-2012, 10:15 AM
I thought n o s l e r brass was made by 1 of the bigger names
Like normal/lapua???

efw
02-28-2012, 08:03 PM
I thought n o s l e r brass was made by 1 of the bigger names
Like normal/lapua???

From what I've been told, some of the rarer cartridges (6.5-284, 257 Weatherby Mag) are produced by Norma for Nosler. Some of the others are a mix... early on I heard Federal, but don't know what the situation is at this point.

I have 50 Nosler .243 Win cases I just bought that are waiting to be tried out. Looking forward to coupling them w/ Berger 95 gr VLDs and whackin' steel at South Kent!!!!!!!

Stockrex
02-29-2012, 03:27 PM
so what brass will yield the lowest cost per shot say for 243, 6mm BR?

efw
03-03-2012, 05:03 PM
Lowest cost has got to go to PPU...