PDA

View Full Version : Action threads?

big honkin jeep
02-22-2012, 09:17 PM
Ok, So I messed up, I removed a barrel off of an 11gls without removing the front sight base. The screw was protruding through the action and boogered the threads on the barrel. ( so that's where the short screws go :-[) The way I had to force the action off I thought It had come from the factory cross threaded until I inspected it and realized my mistake. :-[ I'm not worried about the barrel, it's a tomato stake now, but it also boogered up the last couple of action threads.
Its a small shank flatback action originally chambered in .243 built around 2000.
What size tap do I need to chase out the last couple of action threads so I can install a new barrel?
Any help appreciated

nsaqam
02-22-2012, 09:24 PM
The tap is available from Brownells but it ain't cheap.

1.060x 20 tpi.

big honkin jeep
02-22-2012, 09:38 PM
Yeah I saw they had one listed but since I only saw one I wasn't sure if it was for the large or small shank? Theirs is listed at 1.055x 20tpi I wanna be sure to get the right tool. Is this the correct one for my application?

nsaqam
02-22-2012, 11:02 PM
If yours is a small shank that is indeed the one you want.

Sorry about being off .005"

Blue Avenger
02-22-2012, 11:04 PM
The one I have is 1.055x 20tpi. I use it to trim the tip of my scope base screw when I have a barrel off. Once it matches the receiver thread it locks the screw when the barrel is installed. Nothing I would say go out and do, it just happened when i cleaned the threads form the same mistake you made. So I did it to the rest.

big honkin jeep
02-22-2012, 11:13 PM
Glad to see I'm not the only one who has made the mistake. Anyone got a supplier for the tap other than Brownells? I'm guessing this is not a common tap size.

nsaqam
02-22-2012, 11:15 PM
The one I have is 1.055x 20tpi. I use it to trim the tip of my scope base screw when I have a barrel off. Once it matches the receiver thread it locks the screw when the barrel is installed. Nothing I would say go out and do, it just happened when i cleaned the threads form the same mistake you made. So I did it to the rest.

That is a fantastic idea to cut the scope screws with that tap!!!
One that I never even considered.
I love out of the box thinking.

Thanks

Blue Avenger
02-29-2012, 07:51 PM
full contact on all surfaces and no damage to barrel threads anymore.